Please or Register to create posts and topics.

New discovery. SA 2d issue 16

Page 1 of 2Next

Hello all

I have recently purchases a block of 2d issue 16, showing sheet number 7193.

According to records there were 6000 sheets printed, from Job 475 and delivered between 2-4 December 1952.

Can anyone explain how this sheet number exceeds the quantity printed.

Tks

Uploaded files:
  • 1.jpg

Sounds as if the cyclometer wasn't reset to 0001 at the start of a print run - we have no reason to assume that it would have been, as it's better security to make it harder to reset the number.

So, what does it mean, it continued printing these cylinders, say from 2345 onwards?

That would be strange since they would have to change the cylinders to print and start again.

Does anyone have these cylinder numbers with a sheet number?

If there is a sheet number beginning with 0, it will change the outcome.

I have 5840;  I have seen 7193 (on eBay).

Can you please upload a photo of yours? I want to keep it for the record.

Tks

Here it is:  in the same position opposite RR 17 and 16 as in your example, which is what you'd expect from a single small printing.

Uploaded files:
  • 5840-Iss-16-SP-coll.jpg

Thank you.

I hope more people come through with photos

Im not sure if its any use at all as I am fairly newish to having an understanding of cylinders and plates..... re: sg134, I have a pair of the 2d  with the cylinder numbers 46 and 27 but no sheet number- so not really any use to you but I also have a block of 4 with sheet no. 6927 but it has cylinder no. 50 ( is this a different issue to the issue 16 you mention?)...  🤔

Regards

Pam

Uploaded files:
  • 20210713_154632.jpg
Quote from Bas PAYNE on June 29, 2021, 9:55 pm

Here it is:  in the same position opposite RR 17 and 16 as in your example, which is what you'd expect from a single small printing.

Hi Bas, to help with my understanding, what do you mean by "in the same position opposite RR17 and 16"... are you referring to the position of the sheet number?   And what does RR stand for? 

Regards

Pam

Page 1 of 2Next