Please or Register to create posts and topics.

SACS ZOOM Meeting: 27 - 02 - 2021

A Report on the SACS (South African Collectors' Society) ZOOM Meeting, Saturday 27th February 2021.

There were, I think, 19 viewers including 3 displayers in attendance. If correct, this is less than a 'normal' SACS meeting in Meriden. Perhaps given the age of most members, it is  an aversion to technology that kept many away. It certainly could not have been the subject matter which was excellent overall.

A notable absentee was the much missed Tony Howgrave-Graham. Chairman of SACS, who is in hospital having open heart surgery. He was sorely missed. Our thoughts are with him and Twiggy, his wife, during this doubly difficult time. He has our Very Best Wishes for a speedy recovery and a return to the philatelic fold.

The Zoom meeting was ably hosted by Tony Johnson, editor of 'The Springbok'. The speakers were Errol van Greunen ('Stamp Sheets from the JIPEX Stamp Exhibition 1936'); David Macdonald ('Basutoland, the Country Surrounded by South Africa') and Keith Klugman ('A Late Celebration of the 150th Anniversary of the Natal 1869 Postage Overprints'). These subjects covered a broad and interesting spectrum of South African philately and postal history. I found all the displays more entertaining than I imagined they'd be.

'Stamp Sheets from the JIPEX Stamp Exhibition 1936'

Errol van Greunen's display was marred by intermittent broken communications. This was a great pity because much to my surprise I enjoyed his subject, the sheets of 6 stamps introduced at the JIPEX Exhibtion in Johannesburg on 2 November 1936. I have acquired a number of JIPEX sheets over the years, mostly in SA collections that I have bought but I have done nothing with them as, frankly, they did not interest me enough. So, at the start of this display I thought "Oh no, prepare to be bored!" Nevertheless, it was surprisingly interesting and enjoyable when it was audible. It provided a useful introduction to a popular subject that is relatively easily found ie. it is one that is accessible to the new collector who is unwilling to spend a fortune on classic South African stamps and covers. Errol's display included the 1/2d values in 10 different advertisement combinations and 1d value in 21 different advertisement combinations. The scarce Sheet No. 7 was mentioned. Attention was drawn to the advertisers on the sheets, in particular the South African Post & Telegraph Office, Tobacco Companies and the well-known Robertson Stamp Company which was then located in the Arcade in central Johannesburg. This raised some nostalgic memories among some of the Zoom attendees who recalled visiting the shop as boys. Following a question by Rob Lester about its street address, we learned learned from Keith Klugman that its address was 'almost certainly 100 Market Street'.  Among Errol's display were official covers bearing JIPEX mini-sheets as well as some unofficial ones made to take philatelic advantage of the Exhibition. There were several official covers showing small to major colour shifts in the exhibition logo. I will now dig my JIPEX sheets out and do something with them. Thanks Errol for inspiring me to get involved in this area!

See Next: 'Basutoland, the Country Surrounded by South Africa'.

Below are JIPEX sheets that I dug out of my Union accumulation. I have more but these must suffice for now. To my surprise, I see that all are different. I am now wondering how close I might get to putting together a complete set. And how long would that take and cost? I bought these in 1998 at a cost of £4 for the lot. Am I now a millionaire?

Uploaded files:
  • Zoom-Meeting-JIPEX-200.jpg

'Basutoland, the Country Surrounded by South Africa'.

I enjoyed David Macdonald's display a lot. On seeing the regal image of Moshoeshoe seated with his knobkierrie, I retrieved mine in order to properly empathise with the subject matter and the great man. I was transported back in time. As a COGH collector, I was keen to see David's display as this landlocked country's earliest postal history is closely tied to that of the Cape through its use of its stamps, BONCs and datestamps. David began with a brief history of Basutoland, a nation that came into being as a mountain sanctuary for disparate Sotho-speakers and others as a result of the rise of the Zulu empire and its Mfecane, ('the crushing') of its neighbours in the 1820s and the holocaust that followed within the hinterlands of Southern Africa. David provided a map that showed Basutoland extending on the western side into large parts of what later became the Boer OFS. The lands of the Caledon Valley and southern OFS were traditional Khoisan hunting grounds. Sotho-speaking tribes drove the San (Bushmen) from this area a mere 70 years before the first Europeans arrived and just some 20 years before the Griqua, a mixed race Khoi (Hottentot) clan with guns, horses, oxen and wagons arrived wearing European clothes. Much of the 19th c. saw conflict between San, Griquas, Boers, British and Basutos. This was overlooked in David's display which was, after all, a philatelic one, not a history lecture. David briefly showed a SAW (South African War or 'Anglo-Boer War') cover from Basutoland to a Boer prisoner in exile. He could have made more of the importance of this cover. Many OFS Boer families took refuge in Basutoland to avoid the fighting. This cover was presumably sent by someone who had gone to Basutoland to a Boer who had remained to fight for the OFS against the British and who been captured and exiled. When the Boers who had sheltered in Basutoland returned to the OFS after the war having lost little of their possessions and cattle, they became as despised by the defeated Boer 'volk' who had lost everything as the turncoats who had served the British Army as National Scouts. The long-term goal of British Imperialism in Southern Africa had been the unification of the British Colonies and the Boer Republics. A fine if common Type 1 'MASERU SOUTH AFRICA' postmark from the early Union era suggests that the imperialists viewed Basuto independence as a maleable thing. David asked if anyone knew about the Reverend Eugene Casalis and how his life was able to span the earliest history of Basutoland into the 1920s. The answer is that it did not. He lived from 1812 - 1891. I recall a reference to a son of the same name or a relative but cannot track it down. Casalis' daughter Adèle (1840-1923) may have been the older sister to the man in question. David's talk inspired me to search through my BONC collection for examples of 156 (Mafeteng), 210 (Mohalieshoek), 277 (Morija), 281 (Maseru), 317 (Thlotse Heights) and 688 (Teyateyaneng), etc. Included were covers to the Sesuto Book Depot, instrumental in bringing literacy and consequently liberation to black mine workers, also one to the notorious Reverend Sam Duby who is believed to have adulterously made a missionary's daughter pregnant. He also showed a near complete SEHLABATHEBE postmark on a pair of 1d reds dated '9 DE 24'. (He has kindly allowed me to post this in the King’s Head Postal History display.) Engrossing and enjoyable, this introduction to Basutoland was fortunately concluded by David before the Lesotho Post Office ruined this landlocked country's philately with the issue of three new stamps every two days -  including a set of sea fish! I look forward to seeing this again.

See Next: 'A Late Celebration of the 150th Anniversary of the Natal 1869 Postage Overprints'

Below are a set of lurid Lesotho Stamps showing some of the many San (Bushman) paintings that are to be found in the caves of this mountainous kingdom. These were painted before the arrival of Nguni native or Bantu Black people. The postcard from the Morija Sesotho Book Depot provides an image of 'the little people', the San, (armed with bows and arrows), attempting to drive off the cattle of spear and shield-wielding "Long Feet', (the San's derogatory name for all Black people). The cover bearing a Cape stamp and BONC 277 (Morija) is an example of Basutoland domestic post to Thaba Bosigo. The PC from London to Morija is addressed to the colourful Rev. Sam Duby. (In keeping with this theme I have included an early Natal to Basutoland missionary cover in the next display by Keith Kluggman.)

Uploaded files:
  • Lesotho-Lurid-Bushman-Paintings.jpg
  • Bushman-PaintingPostcard.jpg
  • Morija-BONC-277-Proving-Piece.jpg
  • London-To-Morija-1910.jpg
  • SEHLABATHEBE-Postmark.jpg

'A Late Celebration of the 150th Anniversary of the Natal 1869 Postage Overprints'

I have used "Wow!" several times to describe Prof. Keith Klugman's displays on the 'Rarities of Victorian Natal' on the SAPC site. I have felt foolish every time when doing so because I know it is not the sort of high praise most would expect from a philatelic society publication. But, hey, this is a club and "Wow" describes exactly how I feel in the presence of Keith's displays - awed, amazed, incredulous, delighted and reverential, all best summed up as "blown away!" So.... Wow! Keith's 'A Late Celebration of the 150th Anniversary of the Natal 1869 Postage Overprints' is so described because he was due to show it to the 'Royal Philatelic Society London' in 2020 but the British Government's Corona virus lock-down put an end to that. I attended the SACS Zoom meeting specifically to see this display and am very pleased that I made the effort to attend. It was uplifting. Short, sharp and focussed on superb material, showing scarcities, rarities and some of the only known examples in the world, this display was a model of brevity, quality and knowledge. I apologise if that sentence appears to say the same thing twice. You won't get that from Keith who is an engaging speaker who makes no such tortuous meanderings in his easily measured, off-the-cuff, well-delivered presentations. At all times the breadth and cutting edge of his knowledge added bite and gravitas to the excellence of his material. Everything was clearly and explicitly described. He left no room for confusion despite the subject of his display, 'the 1869 Postage' Overprints of Natal', being a hugely complicated and challenging one. Wow, indeed! I have never collected Natal but I can see the attraction in doing so, not that I would want to try to do so now with the delusion of competing against Keith. His collection has been compiled at great expense over many years. There is no way that I or any other philatelists outside of the Inner Circle of the Gods of Philately could dare to contemplate building a display half as good from scratch today. With one or two exceptions of rare items in private collections Keith has without doubt built the finest collection of Natal philately and postal history in the world. That is some achievement. So, "Wow!" again. That said, Keith included a cover that he had bought on eBay. It still had the price of £65 marked on its front. He offered it, he said, "as a reminder that bargains can still be found". At the end of Keith's presentation there was a pause, a discernible moment of stunned Wowness! We had been blown away!

Below, is a genuinely unique cover from Natal to Leribe Mission Station, (Orange) Free State. This is the only one of its kind known to bear the 1869 'POSTAGE' overprint. Dated '2 NoV 1869', it is the only recorded use on cover of Type 4 Second Setting Overprint perf 14 on a 3d adhesive. The Pair tied by Pietermaritizburg Putzel Type 1 pays the 6d rate via Bethlehem to Leribe Mission Station (Orange) Free State in the future Basutoland. A Basutoland forerunner, it is addressed to the wife of missionary Francois Coillard. Ex Hart, ex Besancon. Wow! And, while on the subject of forerunners and missionaries, here is another 'Wow' of Keith's addressed to the 'Zulu Country'. See the full display in the 'Stamps and Covers of Victorian Natal' in the DISPLAY section of the South African Philately Club website.

See Keith's Display on April 15th with the New York Collectors Club

All with an interest in South African Postal History should see Keith's displays. Those who missed this Zoom display  have the opportunity see another of his displays on 15th April in the New York Collectors' Club Zoom meeting.

Subject Title: Victorian Natal.
Presenter: Prof. Keith Klugman FRPSL.
Date: Thursday, April 15th 2021.
Time: 10:30 am EST - 4:30 pm SA and 3:30 pm UK.
Duration: 45 slides so 45 minute talk (subject to change).

This meeting is being held under the aegis of the NYCC (New York Collectors Club) who have kindly agreed to make it a joint presentation in conjunction with the SAPC (South African Philately Club), SACS (South African Collectors' Society) and the C&NSC (Cape and Natal Study Circle). The meeting is free, open to all and membership of a club, society or study circle is not a prerequisite. There is a capacity for 1000 attendees (with extra capacity available if needed).

Email me for details: Steve <postmaster@southafricanphilately club.com>

Uploaded files:
  • Zoom-Meeting-Cover.jpg
  • ZULU-COUNTRY-Cover.jpg