Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Airmail First Flight Covers

PreviousPage 3 of 3

Very nice, welcome aboard. Please fasten your seatbelt, we might be in for a bumpy ride!

Welcome back and looking forward to your posts, glad to see things have improved for you, I for one missed you. I also slowed down my posting and hopefully now catching up, pretty much for same reasons plus a stent. Still between two places, but hoping things will start settling down from now on. I like the cover you posted despite not collecting Airmails. Steve and Jamie have been working hard to keep the discussions and the displays live. 

Yes, nice to have Underbidder back. BUT.... further to his comment, 'Keep up the good work, Steve', none of us should forget the magnificent, if not major, contribution that Jamie has made to this site by posting material every day. I am particularly enjoying his Egypt at present. Underbidder has no internet connection - his local library is where he will read this - but I have over the years scanned a lot of his material which I will put up on his behalf subject to working out a mechanism whereby he can provide comments on it as it goes up. The expression 'snailmail' comes to mind!

Attached is an Airmail cover from his 'Apartheid' material. It's not first flight but July 1932 is still relatively early.

Uploaded files:
  • Air-Mail-Native-Affairs.jpg
yannisl has reacted to this post.
yannisl

The Actual First flight of the Second Air Service was 26 August 1929. Major Alister Miller founded the Union Airways on 24th July 1929 and the first flight was on 26th August 1929, locally. The service was extended to England in 1932. Here is a cover from a flight from Cape Town to Bloemfontein on 29th August. The cover has a handwritten note that it is a return flight, but I don't know that. Also I am not sure if the local service carried passengers or just posts. ... Still a way to go. 🙂

Uploaded files:
  • Millers-Flight.jpg
PreviousPage 3 of 3