Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Battle of the Atlantic.

Page 1 of 5Next

Battle of the Atlantic.

Uploaded files:
  • Screenshot-2022-01-21-095324.png
  • Screenshot-2022-01-21-095449.png

This looks really interesting. I look forward to seeing the rest. Hope it's as good as your QE2 Rhodesia..

My father's younger brother, my Rhodesian Uncle Reg, was in the Royal Navy during WW2. He served in corvettes during the Battle of the Atlantic. In a strong North Atlantic swell the waves would wash over these little ships so completely that Reg would later tell me that he had spent the war in the submarine service, perpetually damp or downright wet. When Reg came home to Hull and met my Dad who had served in the RAF and trained in Rhodesia he was so impressed by Dad's description of Rhodesia  - cheap beer and cigarettes, exotic food, lovely sunny weather and sport, opportunities - that he emigrated to Rhodesia immediately and lived there for the remainder of his life. It was his submarine service in the North Atlantic that motivated him to up sticks and relocate to somewhere warm and dry.

The image below shows a family reunion at war's end with my father, Mike, the first officer in the family, his U-boat chasing brother Reg, the first civil servant, and their mother.

Uploaded files:
  • Hannath-Brothers-End-WW2.jpg

Let us see what I can include for you!  I know there is a little South Atlantic material to come even if it is South america. 

Thanks for interest!  I feel loved again!

Battle of the Atrlantic.

Uploaded files:
  • Screenshot-2022-01-21-184405.png

Battle of the Atlantic.

Uploaded files:
  • Screenshot-2022-01-22-054927.png

This is great. I have a lot of this sort of material, like Africa Station, Simonstown and Durban / PMB and HMS Afrikander and HMS Assegaai, and various PBC marks including Tombstones and more. My material relates more to Simonstown and the anti-submarine war in the South Atlantic, so it is not really the 'Battle of the Atlantic' which I have always associated with the North Atlantic. Correct me if I am wrong, please. If you like I can post some of my material here as a reply but I fear this will upset the flow of your beautifully laid-out displays.

Are these sizes intended for Zoom displays and is the re-sizing of covers, etc., accepted in this type of display. In a traditional society paper-based display competition judges would mark you down for reducing sizes. I guess computers and Zoom is entirely new way to display and that nobody has yet got round to creating rules for a Zoom display?

Steve, This is one of nearly 50 Zoom presentations that I have prepared during lockdown.  all are in landscape format and 50% have commentries so that when I kick the bucket they can still be used.  Adel in the Pretoria P/S has every one backed up and backs me up when I give presentations worldwide, she can step in at any time if for any reason my computor goes on the blink.  Regarding this presentation it is North and South Atlantic and I put in what size of image I want to give visual impact, I was involved in graphic design for many years.  It is my collection, I don't have to conform to rules that have killed off the interest of so many philatelists.  It is my collection and I I make the rules.

Regarding you adding to it, I have no trouble with that but - why not prepare your own Zoom presentation and screen alongside?  I always said that two stamp shops next to each other do more business than one on its own!  Besides that, it can get very lonely out on here on my own.  I have had over 20,000 visits in the last few months but very few interactions.

Battle of the atlantic.

Uploaded files:
  • Screenshot-2022-01-22-165838.png

Battle of the Atlantic.

Uploaded files:
  • Screenshot-2022-01-23-073022.png

I like your layout and the way your material flows. This is my last post here . (Oops). I won't interrupt this display by posting my related material but will follow your advice to do the similar elsewhere. I like your metaphor about the two stamps shops standing side-by-side. Sadly, those days are gone. It would be interesting to know if such a sight can still be seen anywhere in the UK? I know that you have done many things in your life but I did not know that graphics design and layout was one. To have you say you like someone's layout is high praise indeed. Thanks for your hard work and continued posting. You are the rock on which the SAPC is built. Yours interactively!

Page 1 of 5Next