Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Cape of Good Hope - Fabrications, forgeries and fantasies

PreviousPage 2 of 2
Quote from yannisl on May 25, 2020, 7:49 pm

I have opened this thread that I expect it will grow considerably in the long term, as there are so many forgeries, especially Jurgensiana. However, some items are puzzling.

I have the attached item in my collection for sometime now. I paid very little money for it. Apparently it belonged to the Ferrari  collection (which I don't have a reference for). It has some notes written in French and a handwritten note "Blum Considers Faked". (which I can't read as I don't speak French).

Can anyone translate the French and provide some opinion? Have you seen anything similar?

This particular revenue stamp is found on newspapers of the period and I think is probably genuine. I am not too sure about the handstamp. You think this is an enhancement? Does anyone have anything similar?

While looking for something else, I stumbled on a short article by Robson Lowe, who confirms he has seen the piece and that in his opinion the datestamp was an addition. See https://www.psgsa.org/website/pages/journal/archive/Forerunners16.pdf 

His argument was:  I have another example uncancelled used on 'The Graham's Town Journal or Cape of Good Hope Eastern Province Register' on 7 July 1836, but the adhesive is uncancelled. 

PreviousPage 2 of 2