Please or Register to create posts and topics.

General items of interest.

PreviousPage 42 of 52Next

Great Britain - South Africa.

Uploaded files:
  • Screenshot-2023-01-08-064914.png

Ship fire - Southampton - Cape Town.

Uploaded files:
  • Screenshot-2023-01-12-164636.png
  • Screenshot-2023-01-12-164725.png
  • Screenshot-2023-01-12-165054.png

Cinderella stamp WW 2.

Uploaded files:
  • Screenshot-2023-01-24-132632.png

Cinderella.

Uploaded files:
  • Screenshot-2023-01-25-042840.png
Steve has reacted to this post.
Steve

Wow....! This is wonderful. You have set this out beautifully. I am hugely envious, a word that only weakly expresses what I feel about your ownership of this magnificent cover. The only disappointing thing about this is the partial Simonstown postmark. But the SATS GENERAL BOTHA  cachet on the reverse, well, words fail me ....   You have really put my Simonstown display in perspective this morning. That is is not a bad thing. I have been resting on my laurels for too long! Oh for summer, a return to normality ie. regular and frequent Collectors' fairs to visit. Nevertheless, thank you very much for sharing this wonderful item.

At the risk of car-jacking your Cinderella thread, attached below is my sad and greatly humbled offering on the SATS General Botha. It is the best that I have been able to do so far - and the cover is not even from Simonstown!

Uploaded files:
  • SATS-General-Botha-1.jpg
  • SATS-General-Botha-2.jpg

You are not hijacking my thread, this is one of the reasons that I post to encourage people to talk , show their philatelic gems and to gain knowledge.  I don't know who the signature is, is it the sender or censor. any ideas?  Just a line to say I enjoyed your exhibit, do we have a Simonstown thread?  Perhaps someone with a bit of knowledge on the area should compile one - again - any ideas?!

Ethiopia WW2.

Uploaded files:
  • Screenshot-2023-01-25-152725.png

Further to the SATS General Botha cover, the signature is probably the brother of the addressee. Same handwiriting.

I agree that the cover above would be a 'key' item in any display. My grandfather was a Royal Engineer who after the South African War and WW1 worked the SA Railways workshop in Salt River. I have vivid memories of the workshop as seen from the railway line into Cape Town. A 'dark satanic mill' with coal-stained windows the colour of railway rust. As a boy we had two old German artillery shell cases on our mantle piece that had been crenellated and engraved  by my grandfather. One bore the logo on the cover above of the South African Tank Corps. It has been a great regret that I did not inherit them. My uncle, my grandfather's son, served in the 6th SA Armoured Division in Italy. He went to war a sweet young boy and came back deeply troubled. There was no word or help for his condition back then.

South Africa.

Uploaded files:
  • Screenshot-2023-01-26-071423.png

South Africa,

Uploaded files:
  • Screenshot-2023-01-26-132647.png
PreviousPage 42 of 52Next