Please or Register to create posts and topics.

General items of interest.

PreviousPage 45 of 52Next

Regarding 'The Four Feathers', I used to cook (along with the rest of the RAF kitchen staff) for Sir Ralph Richardson when he played at the Shakespeare Memorial Theatre in Stratford.  He played alonside Margaret Leyton in 'The Tempest' 1951  or 1952. I have a presentation on the Sudan military, I will post!

Sudan.

Uploaded files:
  • Screenshot-2023-07-15-001611.png

Egypt.

Uploaded files:
  • Screenshot-2023-07-15-054903.png
  • Screenshot-2023-07-15-055310.png

Sierra Leone.

Uploaded files:
  • Screenshot-2023-07-19-073156.png

Bahrain.

Uploaded files:
  • Screenshot-2023-07-22-031708.png

South African Cinderella WW2.

Uploaded files:
  • Screenshot-2023-07-22-093214.png

South Africa.

Uploaded files:
  • Screenshot-2023-07-22-184423.png

South Africa.

Uploaded files:
  • Screenshot-2023-07-23-064416.png

These last three cinderella 'screenshots' are .... wonderful, stunning, 'unique' - superb.

Thanks for posting them. Are they for sale somewhere on the internet?

Regarding the last with large V, 'Vrijheid' is the Dutch spelling of the Afrikaans 'Vryheid'. Before Afrikaans became an official language in SA, the ZAR / Natal town of that name was spelt in the Dutch style with a 'J'. You can see this on its postmarks. 'Vrijheid / Vryheid', both mean 'Freedom' or 'Liberty' I do not understand it to mean 'Maturity'. Further, I think this is a Dutch (in exile) cinderella, not a South African one. I recall that at the end of WW2 the Dutch (Netherlands) issued a 1945 'Victory' set (Lion and Dragon) that used a similar Lion with Sword design. 'Victory' in Afrikaans is 'Oorwinning'. Again. I have never, as far as my few remaining brain cells recall, heard 'Victorie' used in Afrikaans. Generally, the language uses a 'K', not a 'C'. Despite my doubts, it remains a wonderful and intriguing South African cover posted in Joburg in 1941. Keep 'em coming. This is a great addition to our website. Thanks again!

Steve, I only show from my collections!!!

Regarding it being a Dutch stamp you may be right.  I just assumed what I wrote.  Adel hasn't shot me down yet, let's wait and see what she says - anyone else want to contribute?  I get through with Afrikaans but only at a basic level so fire away!

I need help with this next one to please,  When did the Southern Rhodesian stamps and postal stationery cease to be valid in Rhodesia & Nyasaland?

Uploaded files:
  • Screenshot-2023-07-23-095907.png
PreviousPage 45 of 52Next