Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Information needed Re Postmark dates and 'handwritten' Airmail cache....

PreviousPage 2 of 2

Thanks, Steve.  Having checked (which I should have done sooner), the first cover attached below - a slightly later Johannesburg paid machine cancellation - has, in the middle line, a rectangular block before the date,  instead of the amount paid, as in your cover.  The second attachment is a Cape Town paid machine cancellation showing how the amount would have been indicated.  I don't know why the amount isn't shown on some paid covers.

Uploaded files:
  • 7-XI-42-JH-ebay-paid.jpg
  • 15-XII-42-CT-PAID-ebay-a.jpg

My 'Golden City / Goudstad' cover MC  has a block where the rate should be. You can see the block - looks more like a fat curved squat curved 'C' in my example - on the left of the Cinderella on the left of the  leftmost stamp.

Never thought this cover would attract so much interest!

Quote from Steve on April 24, 2021, 6:09 pm

"Pam, I apologise if I was unnecessarily harsh in my previous reply to you but this thread which you started shows how important a good quality scan is on site like this where we share images and info. Most serious collectors like Bas need to see the detail very clearly."

Hi Steve

Thank you for your apology, it is appreciated. 

Thank you also for the shared images re: postmarks and covers they are interesting to see.... 

Its great that my thread also gave you and Bas an opportunity to correspond together... It was interesting to read the conversations and learn about 'The Golden City' slogan; I've  never heard of this... what/where is 'The Golden City that it refers to?

Regards

Pam

Pam, Before Steve tries to tell you that Cape Town is the 'Golden City' - It is Johannesburg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry to butt in........... but!

See the source image

Jamie.

PamScarborough has reacted to this post.
PamScarborough

😆😉 thanks Jamie..  

PreviousPage 2 of 2