Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Morocco ww2 cover - Help!

I know Morocco isn't South Africa!  But it is Africa!  

This is a British or American cover (Idle Gossip Sinks Ships) used by a Moroccan business in Casablanca and addressed to a British corporal with the Pay? Corps serving with the British Army at H.Q. M.E.F. which could be in Casablanca or Cairo (Probably Cairo because of the air mail label and the 8f rate).  The cover is dated 31/9/43 and the cachet appears to say 'IHINSKUL BUT LA VICTONE'.  Where or what is that?  I can't come up with anything!

I am only showing the front as the address as been cut from the reverse.

Uploaded files:
  • SAPC049.jpg

I do not have anything similar so cannot comment authoritively, but for what its worth, I think your cachet is an address stamp which may say something like 'IHINSKUL RUE LA VICTONE'. (Maybe the last word is 'VICTORE or VICTORIE'.

I think it is a slogan cancellation in French "Un Seul but La Victoire" . As per Google translated to "One Goal, Victory". 

I see the cover has a few rust spots. Does anyone know how to treat and clean a little bit these type of covers or do you just leave them as they are.

Thanks to both of you.  Regarding the rust spots; 40-50 years ago I used to treat with a watered down 'Milton' baby bottle bleach which always seemed to work.  Now you mention it I might try again and see what happens.  But not on this cover.............. Yet!