Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Post Office Stone Issues

I have a display on the postal history of Simonstown, both the town PO and the naval base's FMO (Fleet Mail Office). I am very keen to acquire copies of the Post Office Stone postal history journal with articles on 'The Postal History of Simons Town' by Ken Baker.

I am lucky to have in my possession Vol. 16 No. 4 (Part VIII, December 1984) of 'The Post Office Stone' which has one of these articles in it. I believe there are eight articles / issues I need in total. I would like to get hold of the other issues for my research purposes. I am guessing that the issues I want are from the period 1983 - 1985. If you have copies that you want to go to a good Cape postal history home, please reply below or email me:

Steve: <steve@softcover.com>

There was a full run of the Journal in the recent Cavendish auction. If you have any contacts they might let you know who bought it (I have a suspicion it was a literature dealer). I was tempted to buy it, but with COVID it will have to be couriered and would break the bank.

I bought my missing volumes of the OFS Journal so once they arrive anyone that needs extracts, I am willing to scan. 

Yannis, it's good to have you back. Thanks for the advice re: the Post Office Stones. Sadly, horses and stable doors come to mind. I will contact Cavendish as you suggest. I have been told by a member of the Royal London Philatelic Society that their substantial library is open to anyone with an interest in stamps and that they will make copies for a  fee. He believes that they should have the Post Office Stone issues that I want. I imagine that will be true for the Royal in Cape Town as well. I did not immediately follow up on his advice as the Royal (London) was in the process of relocating its library, then came the Covid virus which has prevented me from visiting London since November 2019. Philatelists visiting the UK could and should make a point of visiting the Royal if and when they go to London. In my opinion, there is no better way to spend one's time than in the presence of like-minded collectors.

Hi Steve, you may wish to speak to Marge Viljoen - +27 82 404 7238 - she doesn't have an e-mail or I can speak to her for you if you have specific issues you want - she was secretary of the Postmarks Society.