Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Cape of Good Hope: A man named Abdullah alias Adolf Jonker

Sometime back I had the opportunity to purchase an auction lot of a small album containing approximately 60 pre-adhesive covers, non of which seemed very attractive and none of which bear any postal markings or even charge markings! I will be posting my findings as I work through the album. 

The wrapper

The wrapper is addressed to 'Mons. Adolf Jonker thans precinct Paarl' and I have attached it here. The back of the wrapper has remains of wax seals but with indistinct impressions. It is a rather large wrapper for the period approx. 22 cm long.

The Surname Jonker

The surname Jonker is common enough in South Africa, so no alarming bells in finding it on the wrapper. The wrapper had a pencilled note at the back 1764, so I got curious enough to look it up on the web to try and see if I could get any spcific information on it. According to wikipedia 'Jonker' is a Dutch surname. It is also a variation of the title jonkheer. Jonkheer is an honorific in the Low Countries denoting the lowest rank within the nobility as for example addressing the son of a Baron.

Jonkheer's best-known use among English-speaking people is as the root of the name of the city of Yonkers, New York. The word was likely a nickname, as opposed to an honorific, associated with Adriaen van der Donck; a young Dutch lawmaker, pioneering politician and landowner in New Netherland. While his business ventures largely proved less than successful, the city of Yonkers takes its name from his steadfast work in the formation of the state of Manhattan itself. 'Jonker Street' (Jonkerstraat) in Malacca, Malaysia, which derives its name from Dutch, can be traced back to when the Dutch ruled Malacca from 1641 to 1798.

Who was Adolf Jonker?

So who was this Adolf Jonkers? According to the genealogical research, he was  of mixed blood, a 'vrijzwarten' (free black) with his real name being Abdullah, later changed to Adolf. I am providing two links where you can explore the story further:

According to  [2] he was manumitted on 24 April 1733, married at the Cape 26 June 1740 and died in 1779. More information and sources at [1].

Adolf's mother sometimes also recorded as Rosetta van Ceil[j]lon was sold by Gerrit Koek to the notorious Cape Governor Willem Adriaan van der Stel for Rds.~95. Evidence points to his father being an exiled prince from Ternate-one of the Maluku Islands, Indonesia - banished from Jakarta to the Cape for committing rape. He was spared execution for his family's sake and exiled to the tip of Africa for life but is later relegated to Robben Island for operating a brothel

Adolf Jonker was as a 'koster' (sexton/beadle) at the Drakenstein (Paarl) church.

[1] https://www.geni.com/projects/Adolph-Jonker-Ancestry-Puzzle/26314

[2] http://www.e-family.co.za/ffy/remarkablewriting/UL28_Jonker.pdf

Question: What does the dutch "d oud~" mean? Does it indicate like in English Senior? Is this common? I take it "thans" means "now" i.e. now residing in Paarl.

Question: Does anyone have any similar items?

Uploaded files:
  • adolph.jpg
Johan64 and Franco have reacted to this post.
Johan64Franco

This is excellent, Yannisl. Congratulations. You have provided a window onto early life at the Cape, all from a bunch of unattractive covers, and given meaning a purpose to this website. I thoroughly enjoyed reading your historical research. Keep it up!

I enjoyed your revelation about Yonkers, NY, and 'Jonk Heer'. Having visited New York several times, and driven through the Bronx as a dare, (as in Bronkhorstspruit), and visited Wall Street, (Wal Straat), I am aware of its European origins as the Dutch New Amsterdam. There is a suggestion that the term 'Yankee' comes from this time and that it is a corruption of  'Jan Kaas' (John Cheese).  Personally, I have always thought it a native-American expression based on an attempt to say  'Eng gleeesh'. 'Yankee'. Okay? Hokay? 

Of interest is his mother's name , Rosetta 'van Ceylon', another Dutch possession and one from which she as a slave may have come if my name-based assumption is correct. It is not generally known but the VOC made a nice business for themselves in the Asian slave trade.

In answer to your questions. In my opinion, 'd oud', means, 'the old', 'elder' or 'senior', (as in 'ou toppie!). With regards to 'thans' this is Dutch words which has been reduced to 'tans' in Afrikaans. In my 'Tweetalige Sak-Woordeboek' (Afr. bilingual pocket dictionary) the closest to 'thans', (there are no Afrikaans words starting 'th'), is 'tans' which means 'nowadays' or 'now'. As you suggest, this probably means 'now in the precinct of Paarl' or 'area of''. It is possibly that 'nowadays' or 'now' is a reference to him recently moving to this area from somewhere else.  Finally, I have looked at my pre-adhesive COGH mail and can find no Jonkeer correspondence. However, further to your post, as I was looking at my unattractive covers - I have plenty of these also, it goes with the collecting territory - I realised that I was wondering what fascinating story they have to tell. Indeed that all these old covers have a story to tell. And what a story!

As your cover has shown, the history I was taught at school as part of my Apartheid era Christian Nationalist curriculum was so full of holes, omissions and blind prejudice it did not have the legs to stand the test of time or see the reality within our midst. Having said that, I did for many years believe the one-sided half-truths we were taught at school. Over time, I began to see and understand my country and its people in a different light, one that wasn't the light of the European Age Of Enlightenment bought to the Cape by the Dutch, that light which streamed down on van Riebeeck and his men in their silks and shining armour as native Peninulars sat bare-arsed in the dust in skins, awestruck in the shadows. My opinions changed when I started working with the 'Non-European' people of Cape Town, then the majority 'Coloured' population, and heard their stories of their mixed ancestry and the indignities heaped upon them.

To end on a more positive note, at some point I was told that many of the Cape's Malay community were descended from the Batavian ruling class who had resisted the arrival of the Dutch. Rather than kill them and make martyrs of them, the Dutch exiled many of these leaders to the Cape where they survived as artisans, builders, tailors, fishermen, etc.  They clung tenaciously to their Muslim faith and community. Today, there are many Cape Malays who would not be out of place in any Jakarta street scene.

I find it curious that the Islamic Abdullah could so easily transition to the Christian koster Adolf. My modern day liberal prejudices make it hard for me to believe that a prejudiced Cape Dutch Boer community would allow itself to be preached to by a mixed race minister. Perhaps the harsh lives of our ancestors made them more tolerant? Perhaps for Abdullah / Adolf it was a necessary step to surviving in a slave-owning society?  Finally, the Cape in the early days had a shortage of women. While many Boer men, perhaps a majority, did form relationships with and have children by Khoi (Hottentot) women, nubiles of Batavian Asian origin were generally preferred. There are many reasons for that, not least their beauty, relative cultural sophistication, an absence of local political baggage and a desperate need to survive.  A colleague of mine, Cassie Carstens, proudly displayed dark rings under his eyes, genetic proof he matter-of-factly says of his Asian slave descent.

yannisl has reacted to this post.
yannisl

Steve, thanks for providing all the additional information.  I will be posting more hopefully tonight. The challenge is to decipher the writing and then a language which was evolving/mutating from high Dutch to Afrikaans. 

Next post will be about a widow named Exter.

Uploaded files:
  • exter.jpg

I look forward to your information.

Both your covers are addressed using a French 'Mons' or 'Madame'. I wonder why this is? I have several Cape covers from roundabout this time that are addressed to 'Mons'. I can only imagine this is the legacy of French Huguenots at the Cape? I would have thought that given the subject matter, Jonker', (from the Dutch who were the dominant European language group at the Cape), it would have been more appropriate to refer to him as 'Den Heer' (gentleman or lord). Of course, it may well be that the sender was a French-speaker. Apparently French was still being spoken in Franschhoek, (a nice Dutch name), in about 1900.  If, as you say the cover dates from 1764, this predates the 'French Period' at the Cape, 1781-1783, a time of increased prosperity for the Cabo de Bon Esperance. The price of property, slaves and horses all rose. When the VOC collapsed financially and the people of Kaapstad (Cape Town) were looking for a saviour in the early 1790s, their first preference was the French, not the British, for a variety of reasons. 

Steve, as you say the use of 'Mons' or 'Madame'  on wrappers of the period does crop up.  On the Jonkers wrapper I would guess that it was perhaps written by a Francophone clerk? The writing is too good to be by a normal burger. Perhaps someone connected to the earlier residents of Hugunot decent or a slave or free-black with connections from Mauritius or French India? On the Exter wrapper what is unusual is that the undecorated handwriting points that it was written by a non-professional person.  Is it possible that if a person was not Dutch or English he/she would be addressed in French? Some questions maybe can never  be answered as the details are lost in the mist of time or the kilometres of archived materials . For me studying Cape material, from pre-adhesives to stamps, postmarks and the like is a journey and an endless trek over fascinating fractal terrain that sustains me more than the promise of arrival and your comments are valuable additions to take on this trek. 

In the light of what you say, I feel like I haven't looked carefully enough at your 'Jonker' cover which seems to be written in  a mix of both Dutch and French. It appears to be addressed to 'Den Mons' which seems both Dutch and French. Much of the rest appears to be Dutch but 'precinct', if that is what it says (seems right), is quintessentially French. So perhaps the writer is a Frenchman having a stab at Dutch? With regards to the Exter cover, I agree but would add that the writing is perfectly functional, like that made by an artisan or someone with writing skills but not writing for a living, like someone in the army giving written instructions ie. her Major husband.  I am not sure that "if a person was not Dutch or English he/she would be addressed in French". I think the influence of the English in 1813 was not yet strong. But perhaps you are right, she wanted to be addressed  in French because she was neither Dutch nor German (nor perhaps even French) but Swiss - the wife of a Major. (The VOC employed Swiss mercenary's at the Cape at that time and she may well have been the Francophile daughter or widow of one.) As you say, some questions can never be answered. Nevertheless,. we live in hope that we can find a little something somewhere that adds to our knowledge.