Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Bankop

My question about the following cancellation BANKOP 17 APR 1916 ??

Post office open between March 14, 1905 and 1.12.1914. Re-opened 1.3.1915, and closed on 17.6.1957.

Where is the town of Bankop, and was the main post office Ermelo?

Uploaded files:
  • Bankop.jpg

Bankop lay on the eastern side of Ermelo past Holbank, close to the western Swaziland border. It was the terminus of a short railway spur (Ermelo - Holbank - Bankop). The nearest town was Amsterdam which had or was a railway station but to which it was not connected. From Ermelo the railway ran to Standerton where it joined the Johannesburg, Germiston - Standerton - Volksrust line to Natal. As such, Bankop it was in the middle of nowhere but well-connected nevertheless. Putzel's Encycolpedia states the Head Office was Ermelo, Amsterdam, Ermelo. This implies that the first Post office reported to Ermelo. At some point, Amsterdam became the HO. This changed again so that when the PO closed in 1957, the HO was once more Ermelo. I guess that in a town that few have heard of and that less have  had good reason to visit, the PO was likely located at or in the railway station. We will be doing a feature on the King's Head stamps shortly. If you have more intersting ones like this example we will be pleased to see you post them.

Albertlr has reacted to this post.
Albertlr

Thanks Steve,  for the answer.  I have only putzel number 1 and 3.