Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Bechuanaland & Basutoland

Pages from my father's album. Bechuanaland & Basutoland

Uploaded files:
  • a-20210924_103901.jpg
  • b-20210924_103841.jpg
  • c-20210924_103815.jpg
  • d-20210924_103754.jpg

I am going to ask Jamie Smith, co-founder of the SAPC and more expert than me in this area, to comment here.

Colonial has reacted to this post.
Colonial

Dear Colonial, 

Yes Steve did wake me up to come to the party.  I had looked through what was your father's 'School Boy' collection and I am reminded of What David Crocker used to say 'Of no commercial Value'.  BUT!  What a wonderful starting point for yourself or any member of the family who is prepared to put in the hard work to develop the collection.

I look at it as being like the man who builds up a business, makes a living but never gets rich.  The son takes over from the father who has done all the hard work and makes a fortune!  this being because the father put the foundation in, all the son has to do is build on that foundation! You have the foundation!

As far as I can see it covers a wide area of Africa.  All the hard work has been done and all that has to be done now is to develop the collection. a piece here and a piece there.  I don't know if you are a member of a club or if you attend any stamp fairs at the moment but both are a good places to start.  Buy what takes your eye and you will be led in a certain direction - follow that path - sell off the dead wood on eBay or swop it out at club or stamp fair level and there you have it.  You will be a credit, not only to yourself but to your father who started you on the right path.

One of the worries that people coming into the hobby have is, will they be accepted.  Of course like any hobby we have our snobs, with all the cups, certificates and letters after their names but the majority are a decent bunch and believe me - They need you more than you need them!

Lastly, and this is just me speaking I would go for the three satellites, Basutoland. Bechuanaland and Swaziland.  Which ever path you decide to take - Good luck, happy hunting and just know you will get there in the end!

Jame. 

Colonial

Thank you for your very detailed comments and wise counsel. Regards, Doug

Doug, I just hope I didn't put you off!  Always remember, The hobby, The clubs, the members and the dealers all need YOU!  Without you, they are nothing!  You! are number One!  Enjoy our wonderful hobby, Jamie.

Colonial