Please or Register to create posts and topics.

British Postal Orders used in South Africa

I have recently been trying to update an old article of mine on the use of postal orders in Bechuanaland and Botswana. Doing so I have run into some problems with British postal orders overprinted for use in South Africa and other territories. My main question to some of the old-timers with good memories is when was the use of British postal orders discontinued in South Africa (and Botswana and Rhodesia) and why? 

What I can see from the reported British orders is that that may have happened in the early to mid-1980's. Is that correct. It is a puzzle why this was done considering that the Republic and also Botswana orders were not valid in the United Kingdom.

Attached is some images of the type of orders I am talking about, including some early Cape and Union orders.

Note that the orders I am asking about is QE2 orders overprinted for use in the 'Republic of South Africa' and surcharged in Rand denominations. Must of the illustrations I have is from Bechuanaland - but the South Africans are very similar.

Thanks for your help with this. 

Uploaded files:
  • Cape_British_PO.jpg
  • BECH-RSA-GB-PO-copy.jpg
  • BP_Postal_Order_25c_1967.jpg