Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Business Reply Mail

I have come across these types of envelopes and cards inscribed Business Reply Card/Envelope. Postage will be paid by the addressee. Those shown are South African (probably the 60s-70s), but it is indicated that they can be used in the High Commissions Territories (Bechuanaland, Basutoland, and  Swaziland). Have any seen these types used in South Africa and more imporatantly in Botswana, Lesotho, or Swaziland. Any additional information on this type of mail would also be appreciated. Thanks. 

Uploaded files:
  • Businness-Reply-Card_Envelope.jpg

Sorry I cannot offer advice on their use in High Commission Territories but....

Yes, I have used Business Reply Cards cards as a part of my publishing business in  SA in the early 1980s. Their benefit lay in the respondent saving on postage, thereby increasing the chances of a  response for the company using them. I used them to get people to subscribe to my computer magazines. As I recall, the business user had to buy a licence to use this system. This required an initial cash deposit from which the cost of postage was deducted at a fixed and discounted rate. The  company using the Business Reply Card had to have and use a PO Box address, another expense payable to the post office which would keep a tally of the number of cards entering the PO Box.  A note in the PO Box would demand more cash when a mimimum deposit level was reached. The business user of these cards had to print the cards subject to some design constraints. As you can see, the two cards shown above are largely similar but slightly different. Both are going to a PO Box addresses. The cost of producing these cards and distributing them was also the responsibility of the business. Most were distributed as inserts in magazines or as part of a direct mail campaign. One of the advantages of them was that they could also be returned from High Commission Territories. Any issues with postage between High Commission Territories and SA were an internal matter for them and SA PO - nothing to do with the Business Reply Card user. I was generally happy with the system but being a small start-up business I recall thinking it was a bit over-priced and wishing there was a better system. There is today - the internet!