Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Civil censorship East London World War 2

I upload a scan of forces air letter post marked East London dated 30 November, 1944. Posted by an RAF member at 41 Air School at Colondale. Censored using Type 2A1 censor tape tied with Type 8A censor stamp with K code in company with "5" stamp. British Empire Civil Censorship Devices World War II mentions K4 censorship but no others. Could members inform me if examples of other numbers besides the "4" have come to light to date.

Uploaded files:
  • k5.jpg

Thanks for posting.  I have no record but have passed it on, in the meantime I am checking and will come back to you one way or the other. 

Jamie.

Mention is made of 'K4'. K is the East London Coat of Arms censor mark. The 'K4' recorded by Little is the K censor mark with a separate '4' alongside. The person doing the censoring had a specific number so that any query could be traced. Numbers in pencil are common on the reverse of many covers. For example, mail from Internment Camps in the Orange Free State received the 'G' Coat of Arms (Bloemfontein) with a number. Can we see a scan of the reverse? This will help to analyze what we are dealing with. 

Regards,

Jim

Thanks Jim, I hope this will help SOLPT1.  It certainly helps me - It helps to have the best on the team!

I checked the reverse of the cover. No initials there unfortunately, only the censor tape.