Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Collecting Revenue - Stamps and Documents.

Page 1 of 4Next

I open this subject in the hope that there are other collectors of this often neglected subject.  I am aware that King George V said that it wasn't stamp collecting but when all is said and done the revenue collectors have the last laugh as our first stamp was issued in 1666!   Making the purely postal boys and girls latecomers to the hobby. 

I open up the subject by showing how it is important to know how the stamp was used.  I always put this stamp down as being purely Nyasaland - now I find it was used in Northern and Southern Rhodesia. I don't know about any other countries - any ideas?

Uploaded files:
  • SAPC512.jpg

With all due respect to George V no true philatelist would look down on "revenue stamps."  After all many postage stamps are marked "POSTAGE AND REVENUE" and what was the reason for printing all those 5 pound stamps all over the Commonwealth and from memory even a 50 pound stamp somewhere in the Nigerias? 

If he would have also spoken to Orange Free State collectors, he would have agreed with them that the only way to understand the V.R.I. overprints would be through the printings of revenue stamps as well.

Like postal history, one can collect them as a sub-field of philately. Personally I collect stamps and postal history and try to understand the history around them (not just post history), as well as the social history, that is the daily life of the common people at t the time, so many times this crosses over to revenues and I would have collected more if I had funding from some royalty!

I attach my gem.

Uploaded files:
  • Scan.jpg
Adeltjie has reacted to this post.
Adeltjie

Now you are talking! Beautiful.  

I just wondered are we the only two awake to philately as a whole (at this time of the morning)?

Quote from Jamie Smith on October 13, 2020, 7:34 am

... I just wondered are we the only two awake to philately as a whole (at this time of the morning)?

It is the secret to longevity! 

how do we price any revenue items if you do not have access to a Barefoot?

The easiest is to do an ebay or delcampe search and see prices for similar materials.

Sorry to interrupt the love fest with a reality check - Jamie has difficulty sleeping and Yannis is in Dohar.

Sam, you have identified an issue. This is the second time in a forum in the last week or so that a need for Barefoot has come up (For those who do now know, Barefoot is a catalogue of revenue stamps in much the same way as Gibbons catalogues stamps.) Yannis' suggestion about comparing with prices on the interent is good advice. Thanks.

Yannis has posted a wonderful thread on early Cape Newspapers which had adhesives affixed to them. The question then was "did they appear in Barefoot?). The answer is "we do not know".  I do not own a copy of Barefoot and really have no need for one. I only know of dealers who have it. It would be good if we could find a SAPC member with a copy of Barefoot who could look these up on our behalf. Alternatively, it would perhaps be best if the SAPC owned its own copy of Barefoot which the editor, me, could use on occassions like this to assist with your queries.

There are three issues here.

1]. I do not want to become a revenue valuing service - some SAPC members may have hundreds of revenues, and
2]. I do not really want to buy a copy of Barefoot as I will not have much use for it, and
3]. I have tried to start and run this website without any capital outlay and would like that to continue.

I do not want to ask Club Members for Annual Subscriptions to pay for such a purchase and other costs.

But, yes, access to a copy of Barefpoot will be useful. Can any member / reader assist us?

PamScarborough has reacted to this post.
PamScarborough

Ooops! I forgot to attach this. Calvinia 'JY 15 1867' to Cape Town 'JA 18 67'. It is one of very few revenue items I have.

I suspect that this is an item of Jurgensiana ie. postal material forged and or manipulated by A. A. Jurgens RDPSA FRPSL to look better than it originally did. Why on earth put a revcenue stamp on an Official OHMS letter to the Colonial Secretary? As an item of postal history its value and genuineness is debatable but as an item of Jurgensiana there's a top place for it in my collection.

Uploaded files:
  • Calvinia-Southey-Revenue.jpg
PamScarborough has reacted to this post.
PamScarborough

Nice!  And yes I do have a Barefoot (and at the moment two bigfeet - but I am putting cream on them - that is why I am up in the middle of the night) unfortunately I only have one Barefoot (If you can work that lot out!)  so I can help with any enquires.  Also my Italian friend Giovani Pal^%$£"!+  ex Durban P/S has one of the most extensive SA revenue collections as does Cedric.  We should not have to go far for answers.  I might add here that I do not intend to stay in SA as it all started with GB taking money off the common man, and I may add they still do!  only difference is they 'Youst' to give us a stamp in return.

Sam, I only just noticed the new kid on the block - welcome!  If we can do anything to help just carry on posting!

Jamie

Page 1 of 4Next