Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Collecting Revenue - Stamps and Documents.

PreviousPage 3 of 4Next

The SAPC has decided to assist J. Barefoot Ltd in finding the missing red SOUTHERN RHODESIA EMPLOYMENT STAMP. Anyone with an example of this stamp is asked to please submit a scan of it to the SAPC. Thanks.

To give you an idea of what you are looking for, I attach the following:

Block x 4 green NYASALAND 5/- EMPLOYMENT STAMPS.
The design here is fundamentally the same but with two lines and dots about the country name.

Two x single blue NORTHERN RHODESIA  5/-  EMPLOYMENT STAMPS.
This is presumably more what the red Southern Rhodesia revenue looks like.
These have been copied from SAPC Member DEVERELL / MACGREGOR's website : http://www.rhodesia.co.za

Single Mock-up of the missing red  SOUTHERN RHODESIA  5/-  EMPLOYMENT STAMP.
This is what you are looking for. The Question Mark is not shown on the stamp. We do not know what is!
It is likely that the positioning of the value is reversed, as in the Northern Rhodesia stamp.

If you have an example, please send a copy to us ASAP. Many thanks.

Uploaded files:
  • REV-EMPLOY-NYASA.jpg
  • REV-EMPLOY-N-RHO-x-2.jpg
  • REV-EMPLOY-S-RHO-Mockup.jpg
Jamie Smith has reacted to this post.
Jamie Smith

Good day

Got this 6and a half Cigarette tax still on the tin, thought I would share it here

Was in use Between 1949-1960

Uploaded files:
  • Scan_20201021_111256-2.jpeg
Jamie Smith has reacted to this post.
Jamie Smith

Howzit Adeltjie.

Welcome to the SAPC Forum. It's great to have you join us as a new contributor. Right at the beginning of the SAPC website, I posted an image of Lion Match Box labels. The first piece posted on this site by Yannis, a great contributor, was a cigarette tax label. He has gone on to post some wonderful material. I am thinking that you have chosen a hard act to follow. I wish you good luck here and look forward to seeing more of what you have to offer.

For me, your Mill's cigarette tin is a wonderful reminder of my childhood, a veritable blast from the past, because I used several such tins for various purposes as a boy. Indeed, my Dad kept odd screws and things in these tins that gathered dust in the garage. I am now thinking I remember a tax label on some of the tins. I had forgotten these things completely when I woke up this morning and now here I am back in my Dad's garage in Pinelands 60 years later remembering everything as it was. Thank you. If you want to see my Match Box Labels and Yannis' cigarette tax label, click on the link below. This is a great start. Keep up the good work!

https://southafricanphilatelyclub.com/forum/topic/images-of-the-month-may-2020

At last a response to the  Employment stamp in red but 'Nyasaland' not Southern Rhodesia as I expected but we now have specimens used in a 'Migrant's Employment book' sent in by Tony....  The cachet shows that they were used in Bulawayo S.R. during July and August 1954.  The Northern Rhodesia in Blue was presumably used during the same period. 

Uploaded files:
  • Nyasaland-stamps-scan..jpg

Northern Rhodesia - Employment stamp.

Uploaded files:
  • Screenshot-2022-11-01-205216.png

Northern Rhodesia.

Uploaded files:
  • Screenshot-2022-11-02-042432.png

I bought this item hoping it would complement an OFS (Orange Free State) display that I am slowly building.

To be honest, I do not know much about the piece. I have some similar OFS ephemera that refers to land sold by the Griquas to the Boers. The buyers would register the sale of Griqua in Bloemfontein so that authority over it passed from the Griquas into the OFS. Boer territorial expansion was further facilitated by three wars fought between Boers and the Basotho (1858 - 1868). This item refers to the sale of land following the wars with the Basuto. Quite remarkably, it documents captured Basuto land being sold to an OFS Boer, Lourens Marthinus Potgieter, in 1874. If true, I am very pleased with this item as it adds to my understanding of  the origins of the OFS.

The dealer attempted to sell the piece on the basis of President Johannes Henricus Brand's signature. He was the fourth President of the OFS from 1864 - 1888. The value of his signature is debatable. My guess is that the signature is probably worth about £25 (R500). The embossed green £3 tax stamp is probably worth more. However, valuing individual bits of this document distracts from what is a rather wonderful if tatty overall ensemble piece. It looks as thought it could have come from Paul van Zeyl's stock. It probably did!

I am looking for help, please. I genuinely do not know what I have bought. A brief examination on the internet is not helpful. There is little to be quickly found on the embossed seal and tax stamp. This suggests that they are scarce and uncommon. The large off-white seal is embossed with arms (sans powder horns) and states that it is the 'Great Seal of the Orange Free State'. (Dutch. Groot Zegel van die Oranje Vrijstaat.) It is a symbol of the authority of the President. It has no value and is not a revenue stamp.

The embossed green £3 (Dutch. Drie Pond STG) revenue is interesting not only for being potentially scarce but for showing us that the currency of the OFS was pounds sterling ('Ponden STG'). (The Cape dominated the southern African economies at this time.) This embossed OFS revenue stamp was locally produced. The first were made in 1856 embossed on different colour papers. Is this £3 an example of those or a later, pre-1874, issue? The first postage stamps with values of 1d, 6d and 1/- were printed by De La Rue in London in 1867 and issued in the OFS on 1st January 1868. The embossed revenue stamps were superseded by printed ones in 1877, some three years after President Barnd signed this document.

Uploaded files:
  • OFS-Front-Documernt-Brand.jpg
  • OFS-DOC-with-Pres.jpg
  • OFS-President-J-H-Brands-Signature.jpg
  • OFS-GROOT-ZEGEL.jpg
  • OFS-3-STG-Green-Tax-Stamp.jpg

The best reference for the revenue stamps is in The Stamps of the Orange Free State, by Buckley and Marriot. There is info specifically in Chapter 14 The Revenue Issues, page 222. Your document shows revenue stamps from the 1st issue 1855-1877. They really have a primitive look, similar to the Natal embossed issues. I will scan some of the pages from the Handbook and post them in the morning. I have a good run of them as well, but not on any documents. The first issue is rare in my opinion and undervalued by collectors, but then there so few interested in OFS in any case.  

Here some extracts from the Stamps of the Orange Free State by Buckley and Mariott, Volume I, related to Revenue stamps. There some more information in Volume III as well.

Uploaded files:
  • ofs-revenues-01.jpg
  • ofs-revenues-02.jpg
  • ofs-revenues-03.jpg
  • ofs-revenues-04.jpg
  • ofs-revenues-05.jpg

Here is the last page. 

Uploaded files:
  • ofs-revenues-06.jpg
PreviousPage 3 of 4Next