Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Ethiopia.

Ethiopia.

Uploaded files:
  • E001.jpg
  • E002.jpg
  • E003.jpg
  • E004.jpg

Nice. I have a good accumulation of Ethiopia, mostly stamps (almost all of the early ones as per SG) but also a few covers, FDCs and postcards. I haven't gone beyond Hailie Sellasie (?) so its nice to see him again, with, I presume, his great ancestor, the Queen of Sheba? It is my plan to write them up sometime.  Adowa is one of my favourite colonial battles. There is a collector in Cambridge who has a very excellent Ethiopian postal history collection. Among his covers is a letter in which the writer, an Italian soldier, says he is recovering from his injury. The Cambridge collector takes this to mean he suffered castration, something practiced by the Ethioipians against the Italians who surrendered. Apparently, the halls and huts of Ethiopia were widely decorated these little items of Italian manhood.

The PC below, "Carte Postal 'Julia' published by E. H. Schrenzel (Addis-Abeba). Tableau Abyssin (after ancient engraving)", is a curious example of African art, almost Byzantine / Greek Orthodox. Maybe Egyptian Coptic influences?

Uploaded files:
  • Ethiopia-PC-1-BW.jpg