Please or Register to create posts and topics.

First Flight East London to Cape Town

• This was sent to a family member by my late grandfather   Hope this is in the correct place to post. 
Uploaded files:
  • Airmail-Rotate-Resize.jpg

Philip, thanks for joining the SAPC and posting an image of a cover almost immediately. I don't keep records but I am guessing that no-one has posted an image quicker than you so soon after signing-in. I haven't even sent you my "Welcome to the SAPC" email yet! Congratulations. We need more enthusiastic members like you.

Yours is a very nice Registered cover which appears to be in reasonable condition. The hand-stamped Registered cachet is a nice embellishment. Based on the full set of Airmail stamps, my guess is that this not a commercial cover but a philatelic one posted for the purposes of hopefully becoming collectible and valuable in future.

Below is a cover that travelled on part of the same flight as your grandfather's mail. My cover was collected in Port Elizabeth whereas yours started the journey in East London. The likelihood is that they traevlled in separate bags. My cover is not philatelic, rather it is a straightforward airmail letter. As you can see from the state of my cover, the years gave not been as good to it as they have been to yours.

I wish I had covers from my ancestors. Somewhere in among my stuff, I have a cover to Divine Gates.

Uploaded files:
  • Kings-Head-Airmaiil-1.jpg