Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Gevraagd perfins (Asked / Requested Perfins)

Perfins gezocht van South Africa en de Staten.

I might have some. Will look through my collection...

For those of you who neither speak Dutch or Afrikans, the message says "Perfins sought from South Africa and the States". With its Anglo-Saxon roots, English is remarkably similar to Dutch! Big Suprise, hey? Just compare the words.

"Gezocht" (sought or seached) is probably the only difficult one. Usually a 'ge' precedes a verb, (I think). I now wonder why I struggled with Afrikaans at school, particularly when my Mom was part Afrikaans. My grandmother's family were from Calvinia and her brother had been a Cape Rebel, a proto-Nationalist. I think I struggled with Afrikaans at school because the teachers were repressed and bitter bullies, Anglophobes who could not make the subject come alive. It was, after all, the 1960s, an era these teachers were not embracing. They were stuck in the 1930s on a Voortrekker wagon recreating the Boer's great adventure all the while travelling to the desolation of their race in the South African War. Somehow they could not forgive us for being young and saying we did not want their society or sacrifice. I realise now it was a little like being a Black schoolkid in Soweto in the 1970s made to learn in the language of the oppressor. Only it was never so bad for us! We could escape at the next lesson. Phew! Thank goodness that's over! It is now!

Hello All

Being new to the forum I hope this is allowed:

For anyone who may not have seen this article on South African Perfins here's a link that may be of interest. There are a lot of blank spaces on the document so that, when printed out (if not already done!) you could input your own perfin stamps information

Regards

Pam

Uploaded files:

Pam, thanks for posting this interesting article on SA perfins, a rather neglected area of South African philately. I feel it is lost here as a PDF. It deserves more prominence. May I please reposition it on the SAPC website for the next issue, June 2021, ie. put it on the Display pages and announce it on the Home Page? Are you the author?

First of all, my apologies for such a long delay in responding to your request Steve. For some reason two posts from the forum went into my junk mail and I've only just seen them. I think it would certainly be more beneficial for this document to be repositioned onto the SAPC website. 

No the article is not my personal work, again my apologies, I thought I had listed the author in my previous post; I see now that I have omitted to include it... I will seek it out and let you know

Regards

Pam

Hi Steve

On the first page of the document it names Jeff Turnbull as the Editor, he has also included an email address; therefore, as I'm sure you will automatically expect to do so, I suggest gaining Mr. Turnbulls permission for using his article on the SAPC website.

I hope this is to your satisfaction. And again, my apologies in my delayed response

Regards

Pam

Quote from Simon on March 2, 2021, 4:52 pm

Perfins gezocht van South Africa en de Staten.

Simon how do I contact you? I might be able to help.