Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Great Britain +

PreviousPage 2 of 14Next

Remembering the time when I served this country.

Uploaded files:
  • SAPC343.jpg

I have been told that this one is hard to work out until the penny drops!

It is all to do with the heading and the last verse, concentrating on the last line!

Uploaded files:
  • SAPC385.jpg

It's autumn.

Uploaded files:
  • SAPC436.jpg

For you know who, never miss a trick! One for every occasion (in this case two!). 

Uploaded files:
  • SAPC437.jpg
  • SAPC438.jpg

Thank you, Jamie. "The Kingfisher and his Reflection" was one of the first poems you posted on this site, probably after I confessed to having killed one as a boy. I am still carrying that sack of salt on my back. I like the poem and I like the sentiment you express. The poet is a solitary old bird, is he not, "always alone, even with someone he loves".

This posting is in reply to my email to Jamie where I told of seeing a pair of Kingfishers while walking along the Cam yesterday.  I wrote to Jamie: "Yesterday we did our 'wet weather walk' along the Cam where the tow path is dry. We walked about four miles from Baits Bite Lock to Clayhithe and back. The summer before the Covid pandemic I could almost invariably conjure up a Kingfisher simply by saying its name on this walk. Then we had a lean period of no sightings at all this year, the magic was gone until yesterday when suddenly we saw a pair of Kingfishers. I have only ever seen them as solitary birds before. These two flew past low and fast over the water in shadows, little brown jobs, no colour in them whatsover.  I wondered what they were. I asked my wife but she said she hadn't seen them. "I thought they might have been Kingfishers" I said and lo, there they were again having turned around and were now flying past us downriver, this time the light catching them in mid-stream with flashes of blue and orange. They disappeared into the vegetation on the far side of the Cam and came out after we'd passed to overtake us again. They did this about four or five times over a quarter mile. They did not look their resplendent best. It is probably too late in the season now for them to look shiny and attractive for their mates. Hopefully they have had a knackering time of it bringing up a brood or two. Apparently their aren't much more than 2000 breeding pairs left in the UK."

Yes it was for Steve and with regards to posting twice my apologies at my age there is a reason! I can't remember what I had for breakfast!  Lucky we have an editor who can sweep with the old broom!

'Me.

South Wales.

Uploaded files:
  • SAPC463.jpg

The Stafford Stamp fair is/was held at the showgrounds.  If we are ever allowed to go here again... as you enter the showgrounds main gate, look to the left and you will see a clump of trees.  This is where I visited the modal railway.

Uploaded files:
  • SAPC480.jpg

A neighbour.

Uploaded files:
  • SAPC495.jpg

That's life!

Uploaded files:
  • SAPC501.jpg
  • SAPC502.jpg
PreviousPage 2 of 14Next