Please or Register to create posts and topics.

How many Issue 1a Arrow pieces of SA Unhyphenated Rotos are recorded?

Issue 1a of S. A. 2d unhyphenated rotos.

I have read from time to time that only 11 arrow (complete) control blocks of issue 1a are recorded. Then I see in a Welz auction catalogue of July 1998, ‘only  15 arrow control pieces recorded’.

So, how many are recorded/exist and who has recorded them?

Welz in 1998 had a right arrow block of 16 for sale (sold for R4950).

Mike Tonking in his book ‘The 2d Rotogravure Pictorial Issues 1931-1952’ by the S.A. Collectors Society U.K., shows 3. A top, left and right B4. I don’t know if they are still in his possession.

I have 1, bottom arrow pair with paper join, which I think is the only one recorded.

That makes a total of 5 that I know about.

I am asking the help from fellow collectors to supply information and a scan of their item. The reason I am asking for a scan is because more often than not, the arrow blocks of issue 1a are confused with those of 2a.

A very interesting query, one that got me away from my PC and browsing through the contents of my filing cabinet. I thought there was an outside chance of some blocks like this among my Union accumulation, but no, nothing. The only blocks I have are 1/2d and 1d rotos, I'm afraid. This is really not my area. It is one for the ardent Union philatelists among us. It would be nice if you could add a scan of your bottom arrow pair with paper join, just so readers can get a better picture of what they should be looking for. Thanks for the post and good luck with the search.

There is a picture of it in the previous article concerning the 2d printing sequence, but I will put it up again.

Uploaded files:
  • ISSUE-1a.jpg