Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Interprovincial period

Interprovincial period May 31 to August 18 was not yet allowed to use each other's postage stamps. I am looking for postal items in that period with stamps that have been used of the four countries (Cape-Natal-Transvaal-Free State).     Is there anyone who can help me get a postal item from that period ? Or an example of such a postal value item to show me. 

Albert, there are a small number of Interprovincial covers in the Display > Kings Head Postal History. It is intended to introduce the Interprovincial (IPs) postage stamps that were being used in SA before the King's Head was issued in September 1913. Hopefully, it will provide you with some background and allow you to see two superb covers supplied by Tony Howgrave-Graham. Here are two of my IPs, neither stellar but both everyday working examples of the period. The Registered cover with OFS 3d was posted at Muizenberg in the Cape (where I and many other boys learned to surf) and the other is a postcard with a Transvaal stamp posted at Wynberg, also in the Cape, where there was a large British Army garrison camp and hospital. The Muizenberg postmark is a pre-Union Cape Colony datestamp - with date slugs in two or more lines - while the Wynberg one is post-Union ie. slug in one line.

Uploaded files:
  • Interprovincial-Muizenberg.jpg
  • IP-KH-Wynberg-Cape.jpg