Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Cape of Good Hope Squared Circle Datestamp (Cape Town) - 1882

PreviousPage 2 of 2

Below is an interesting example of the original 1882 Cape Town Cape Colony Squared Circle (1+4) Datestamp in July 1885, some two-and-a-half years after its introduction. Constant use has caused it to become worn in places. What is notable about this piece is that the datestamp can be seen to be transitioning from the original (1+4), now seen remaining only on the right side of the datestamp, into a (1+3) on the left. This wear on the datestamp is the cause of much of the confusion surrounding their proper identification. 

Uploaded files:
  • SqC-CT-Strip-85.jpg

I saw this one on sale as well (really tatty cover for the price) and true this is what probably happened. It also appears that the one side was eventually milled. So this one might have a state 1 and state 2. Another confusing aspect is at least in the covers I have I cannot find any with  G.P.O. during the first years of usage, only when it re-appeared later sometime in late 1893! 

Yes, I confess, I saw it on eBay and would have bought it had it been in better condition or at a more reasonable price. I generally do not like copying material from the internet but when it is important to an ongoing discussion I will. With regards to giving displays, I like to own the material I show. However, the difference here is that this is philatlic research in the interests of sharing knowledge. I don't really have any qualms about doing this. Further, having bought such 'quality' items for years, I am no longer made of money! "Really tatty" covers do not keep their value.

Interesting (as in the old Chinese curse) what you say about State 1 and State 2. This adds another level of unwanted complexity to this subject! Still, now that we in the UK are back in lock-down for another month - at the very least - what else is there to do but work this out? With time and patience - and with sufficient examples, as above - we can work this out, even through States 1 and 2.

I was talking to Bob Hill a few days ago. He made the same point as you about the notable absence of early SqCs. Does someone collect this stuff? If yes, where are you. Please join in the discussion!

PreviousPage 2 of 2