Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Kariega

I attach four Cape of Good Hope stamps on piece postmarked at Kariega on 7 July, -3. Now the source I have noted on Google, the date does not line up. Have any members got any idea what the date might be.

Merry Christmas to all.

Uploaded files:
  • kar01.jpg
Johan64 has reacted to this post.
Johan64

A nice find.

According to Putzel's Encyclopedia,  it's one of those slightly complicated stories of transfers of offices/agencies/responsibilities between Kariega and Kariega Rail. Kariga (sic) was listed as an office in 1862; a deputy PM was appointed for Kariega in 1878.  A PA opened at Kariega Rail in 1880-81, was briefly moved back to Kariga in 1882,  then back at Kariega Rail from 1882-1925, then back to Kareiga (sic)  in 1925 until closed finally in 1962.

In spite of all these changes, only two cancellers have so far been reported.  Yours looks like Put 1, and the stamps are consistent with the date (JY 7 03) - presumably used at that point at "Kariega Rail"; the same canceller was still in use back at Kareiga in 1935 (see illustration in Putzel's Postmarks of South Africa v.4).   A new canceller was issued by 1947 (see Alex Visser's Addenda, Add 2).  

Yes, a very nice piece. It is just the sort of thing I like. First, it is a Cape item. Second, its a little bit dirty and worn, proof it has lived and experienced life in the postal system, unlike a mint stamp. That's a plus in my book / album. It is also a scarce postmark. What's there not to like? BUT what I like most about it  is the name of the place. I am guessing that 'Kariega' is Khoikhoi (Hottentot) in origin. I once thought to put together a display of South African postmarks that have Khoikhoi or San names but there are so few it was impractical. Nice to know there is now a new one!  Among the Khoikhoi postmarks I have are two others starting with 'K' - Knysna and Komgha. Both are two syllable words. Yours is three. In my book / album that makes it even scarcer and a more valuable :>) I digress.......

Regarding the date, given the stamp was issued in 1900, the year is '03' -  JY 7 03 - as the ever reliable Bas says.

Yes, a Merry Christmas to you, a Merry Pagan Fir Tree Day to all Ancients and Happy Holidays to the Rest.