Please or Register to create posts and topics.

My writings.

PreviousPage 4 of 22Next

Sorry to be late, scanner problems.

Uploaded files:
  • SAPC232.jpg

Still in my garden at 2, Pou Street.

And yes I did have a Peacock!

Uploaded files:
  • SAPC238.jpg

This is a lovely poem. I have carpenter bees that visit my garden and sometimes make my garage their base of summer operations against the hollyhocks. I started a small collection of bees on stamps thinking that my niece, a ten year-old bee-keeper, might be interested. She's interested in bees, yes, but stamps, no! It is quite shocking that historically there have been so very few portaits of bees on stamps despite their importance to our global food sources. Recently, this has changed a little as we become more aware of their vital importance to our survival. Still, you will see a lot more flowers, planes and politicians on stamps than you will bees. I attach a bees on stamps cover from Namibia.

Uploaded files:
  • Namibia-Bee-Cover.jpg

I know the winter is over but I remember waking up to those cold winter's mornings in the Freestate.  I used to drive down Heilbron & Frankfort, sleep in the car to be ready with the first light to start work on the bird atlas.  I often had to scrape the white frost off the windscreen before I could start.  this is just to remind you of what it was like.

Uploaded files:
  • SAPC239.jpg

Of the four seasons I only ever wrote about three, Winter, Spring and Summer.  I don't remember an autumn season as such;  maybe the swallows filling the telephone lines before their migration.  Maybe it will come one day!  But for now let's think of Spring across the 'Vaal Rivier'.

Uploaded files:
  • SAPC245.jpg

I just wanted to compete this small set.

Uploaded files:
  • SAPC246.jpg

I know it is not the time for cosmos but this one follows on to the Freestate.

Uploaded files:
  • SAPC251.jpg

This was written only last month after speaking to my granddaughter on 'Face Time' and she was able to show me the view from her stoep while she was enjoying a few hours in the Kruger and I was 'locked-up' in the U.K.

It just shows the importance of making 'memories' when and while one is still able.

Uploaded files:
  • SAPC252.jpg

Not this morning!

Uploaded files:
  • SAPC258.jpg

A trip to a Pretoria art gallery.  My way of keeping a record of a day out.

Uploaded files:
  • SAPC262.jpg
  • SAPC263.jpg
PreviousPage 4 of 22Next