Please or Register to create posts and topics.

My writings.

PreviousPage 7 of 22Next

I am guessing that the National Anthem of the Baboon is "Don't fence me in" (give me land, lots of land?)

I was hoping a "Tiger in the Sack" was a bit more risque, a memory of the feats of a younger man in his prime.

When I worked in Jo'burg in the mid-1980s, I visited a popular Portuguese restaurant in an old police station in a mixed inner city residential / commercial suburb, I think. If you or a reader could help me with the name the place that would be great. We went there to eat huge platters of prawns with peri-peri sauce and or lemon garlic butter (?). It was my first experience of Portuguese food. We would top it off with sickly-sweet flamimg sangrias. Not so hot!

I have never been to LM but it is on my bucket list to do so. As a boy, I used to listen to LM Radio on my transistor radio. To us rock 'n roll starved youth in South Africa LM Radio and a very scratchy Radio Luxembourg were the South African equivalents of Britain's North Sea pirate radio stations, their music the revolutionary contraband of the airwaves. The story I was told and which I like about LM in the old days - I am not sure how old this is, probably the 1960s - is that people would leave Jo'burg by train on a Friday to go to LM for the weekend. Among the pasengers would be many black prostitutes, all travelling in segregated Third Class, all going to LM for a weekend's work. Apartheid as we knew it did not exist in Mozambique but I imagine some form of colonial discrimnation did. Apparently, after the train pulled out of Komatipoort Station and crossed the border there was a mass influx of these ladies into the First Class Whites Only section of the train where they immediately set about attempting to ply their profession.

Steve

The best place and relatively cheap to eat LM Tiger Prawns were Mike's Kitchens. There were a few others that we used to visit (we had a couple of Portuguese friends), but like you I do not remember the names.

As for the train... don't let me start talking about the Salt and Pepper Pub in Swaziland!

Firstly I also have never been to Mozambique (only gazed across the border) and  secondly regarding your remark about  'a bit more risque';  I'm sure I have no idea what you are getting at but will try and post according to your wishes.

Regarding the Portuguese Restaurant in Johannesburg, I can only remember Norman's Grill that claimed to have Prawns as a speciality but I don't think that they were Portuguese,  I could be wrong.

Lastly I would have thought that when choosing a national anthem for a baboon.. 'die bobbejaan klim die berg'  would be more appropriate.

PS. I just found this one.

Uploaded files:
  • SAPC452.jpg
  • SAPC453.jpg

I am guessing that this is one for the lady philatelist among us. I like it very much. Keep it up!

No, the idea came when I was bird watching on the banks of the Nile and a middle aged European lady came up to me and told me that she was glad that she was passed the age of when men just wanted to pinch her bum.  There must have been a lady in a burka close by for the idea to develop into a story, after all these years I just don't remember.

Don't ask me why people just come up to me and pour their problems out, I just don't know why but they do!  I have many such tales some I can't post here.

This was the one I was looking for.

Uploaded files:
  • SAPC454.jpg
  • SAPC455.jpg

I left Vereeniging my home of 40 years and South Africa because of ill health (I was given two years to live if I didn't get urgent treatment in the UK, 6/4/2006.

Uploaded files:
  • SAPC465.jpg

An African funeral on top of a hill opposite Phuhaditjhaba in Quequa on a warm winder's day in 2005

Uploaded files:
  • SAPC483.jpg

Tweefontein to the west of Sebokeng, in the middle of nowhere - all mealies and birds..

Uploaded files:
  • SAPC505.jpg

Krugersdorp Nature Reserve.  As it was before they murdered the rhinoceros.

Uploaded files:
  • SAPC530.jpg
PreviousPage 7 of 22Next