Please or Register to create posts and topics.

PHILATELIC EXHIBITIONS

I thought that this could be an interesting thread if members were to post examples of their Philatelic and Post Office Exhibition covers.

According to Hasso Reisener's 'The Special & Commemorative Postmarks, Cachets & Covers of South Africa 1892 - 1976', the South African and International Exhibition, Kimberley, was the first in SA to use a special exhibition datestamp and a special printed cover (30 January 1892) and have a special temporary post office at the exhibition (8th September to 8th December 1892).  This exhibition used two different datestamps, his No. 1, a large Double Circle and No. 1a, a small Single Circle with 'EXHIBITION' separated by two dots on either side above 'KIMBERLEY'. "This postmark", says Reisener, "can be regarded as the first recorded and earliest known special South African postmark". Reisener's No. 2 is from the Cape Town Exhibition of 26th November 1904 to 28th February 1905.

If you have examples of these and other Philatelic and Post Office Exhibition covers, please share them with us here.

Some two years ago - how time flies - Yannis posted a wonderfully informative PDF file on the Kimberley Exhibition. This includes the only known copy of the exhibition cachet. Click on the PDF file. You can see it here:

https://southafricanphilatelyclub.com/forum/topic/cape-of-good-hope-kimberley-and-cape-town-exhibition

I attach two examples of covers in my possession. The first is a standard philatelic cover from the SA Philatelic Exhibition, Durban, 2nd - 12th July 1928 to Birmingham, posted on '3 JUL 28'. I hesitate to show this humble cover here having recently seen at the SACS meeting in Letchworth the Lester's magnificent display of covers bearing the 1928 4d Union of South Africa triangle, a visual feast that contained several covers bearing this postmark, Reisner's No. 18, in red and black, possibly even green and blue if memory still serves me,  However, I do not hesitate to show the second cover bearing Reisener's No. 35 from the Post Office Exhibition - Cape Town. Reisener states that this exhibition ran from the 7th - 18th May 1935, an event that took place  in Flethcher and Cartwrights Tea Room which was within a stone's throw of Cape Town GPO and a short and delightful walk from the addressee's home in Hof Street, Gardens. Reisner states that 1091 cards were distributed between 7th - 11th May 1935.

So, why is my example on cover, not card, dated '23 IV 35'? 

This is two weeks before the Exhbition started! Putzel shows the standard canceller used between 7th - 11th May 1935 which he lists as No. C9. However, he also lists another with a date of 12 IV 35 as C9a. This is 11 days earlier than mine. Putzel says it is "either a date error or PO proof copy". I have a few other items addressed to Mr Solomon which suggest he was able to collect postal curiousities. Perhaps mine and Putzel's C9a are indeed proof copies.

Uploaded files:
  • Exhibition-DurbanTriangle-1.jpg
  • Exhibition-CT-Ship-2.jpg