Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Philatelic Haircuts in a Time of Self-Isolation

How does a Philatelist or Postal Historian get a haircut at such a time?

John Grefe, the organiser of the Alternative Stamp Fair in Chesterton, Cambridge, England, emailed me a photo of himself after he had cut his own hair. I'm not at all sure about the topknot but otherwise it looks very Peaky Blinders. On the other hand I have not had a hair cut for several months and it is beginning to show. Having considered how to get a hair cut at such a time, I have decided that there are only three ways to do so. The first is to follow John's lead and inflict a DIY cut on yourself. The second is to get your wife / partner to do it. This option is fraught with risk as it could ultimately be the straw that broke the self-isolating couples back during this difficult time.  Apparently divorce applications are on the increase! The only good thing that can be said about getting a naff haircut now is that no-one will see you for several months - unless, of course, you post a photo of yourself here. Your third option is to do nothing at all. It is the option I favour. Right now, I'm happy to recreate a small part of the 60s in my Seventies! But am I bold enough to say I won't have my haircut until all  this is over? I don't think so! Watch this space!

From left to rght:
John Grefe, Steve Hannath, Bob Hill, (see some of Bob's wonderful material in the Putzel Display).

Uploaded files:
  • Philatelic-Haircuts-x-3.jpg
Johan64 has reacted to this post.
Johan64

Welcome to Jamie Smith, the Club's the youngest member yet. Jamie has made a prolific contribution to the club's displays. I think it fair to say that without his energy, enthusiasm and haircut it would not exist.  Good on yer, kid!

Uploaded files:
  • Jamie-Smith-Philatelic-Haircuts.jpg

Bob Hill has just dropped off his Apartheid Mail collection which I will be posting on the Club website in August. Here we are in the garden together. Bob came armed with gloves, a mask and handwash. I was less concerned because I believe I have had Covid-19. Bob took the opportunity to buy my best Apartheid Mail stock.  I have not had a haircut since 11th December 2019 when I went to London to get a trim. During an English winter I like to wear my hair long-ish, a "winter coat", but in summer I wear it much shorter. While in London my wife contracted the Corona virus, either on the Tube, at the hairdresser or in Chinatown where we went for a meal. I caught it from my wife on Christmas Eve. It wasn't at all pleasant for the first three weeks. The long and the short of it is that I have not had a haircut for eight months. It shows. I have had to borrow one of my wife's handybands. It works a treat. Bob has been in genuine self isolation all by himself. He told me that he calculates that he now has 3,000 display pages. He's been a busy boy!

PS: Only Reply to this post if you are prepared to attach a photo of your philatelic haircut!

Uploaded files:
  • Steve-with-Bob-Hill-2.jpg

I have waited a long time for a decent photo of Jamie. This has been submitted by Jim Findlay. Jamie is nearest the camera. Jim says he "was going through a pile of photos in a box and found the attached. Taken at the Philatelic Society of Johannesburg in October 1990. Tony Palmer in the background and maybe Mike Nethersole(?). " This is, of course, pre-Covid but the length of Jamie's hair deserves an honourable mention here. He's quite the man about town!And tanned too!  Can anyone confirm the identity of the other three?

Uploaded files:
  • 1990-Oct-Phil-Soc-of-Joburg-Jamie-Smith-Jim-Findlay-1.jpg