Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Ingeli Postage Due

Letter sent, presumably from Nottingham Road, October 12 1909, via Pietermaritzburg, same day, to America. Franked with Natal 1d King Edward VII. On the front, we see 2 different Postage Due 30C, and 6 CENT. And left a cancellation I cannot read ( I see TERM.STA 11). On the back, we see 4 cancellations. Who can help me to describe this letter?

Uploaded files:
  • 30-c-1.jpg
  • 30-c-2.jpg
  • 30-c-3.jpg

Albert, please note that I have moved your post from 'EDITORIAL' to 'Stamps, Covers, Postmarks, Postcards & Ephemera'. In future, please make your very welcome posts in this forum, not in 'Editorial'. Thanks.

Sorry but I cannot help you here. Are you sure it was sent from 'Nottingham Road'? I cannot see enough detail to confirm this. The stamp does not appear to be cancelled with the same 'NOTTINGHAM ROAD' postmark as shown on the reverse which is a Double Circle datestamp with a Cross at base. The postmark cancelling the stamp has 'NATAL' at base and appears to start 'IN...." IMO, the front has one Natal PMK and three USA ones while the reverse has three Natal PMKs. 'TERM STA' on front cover is almost certainly USA.... I think! This is now a job for a Natal expert, not me. I am no Banana Boy. I am a Capey!

Albert, I asked the Natal expert, Roger Porter, to comment on your cover. His description is below.

1909 King Edward 7 cover.

Description:
1909 taxed cover, In[geli] 8 OC 09 to USA. Cancellations indicate the postal route taken; Nottingham ? O 09, Nottingham Road OC 12 09, Pietermaritzburg OC 12 09 + 30c tax mark applied at the GPO. Taken by Union Castle mail boat from Cape Town to London and then by sea to New York – with arrival New York 6c tax mark applied dated NOV 11 1909, and forwarded to destination arrival date stamp NOV 14 1909. Postage from Natal to USA = 2½d, therefore 1½d deficient = 15 X 2 centimes = 6 US cents.

Ingeli is a small rural farming hamlet near Ngeli Mountian. The nearest PO is Nottingham.

Nottingham – a small historic village built to protect farmers from raiding San from the Drakensburg by the 45th Regiment (Nottingham Regiment) in 1861. Renamed from Fort Nottingham.