Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Propaganda machine cancellation.

A bit heavy but all there.

Uploaded files:
  • Fb2006.jpg

Say no more .... Se niks meer!

1]. TOP.  "All because someone talked."
2]. "Dear Listeners in South Africa, PLEASE talk about ships and shipping movements."
3]. "Keep mum, she's not so dumb" - one of the greatest Propaganda posters of WW2 IMO.
4]. "ZIPP - your lips - Dont't talk about ships!"

Uploaded files:
  • POSTERS-WW2-IEMAND-GEPRAAT-HET.jpg
  • POSTERS-WW2-LIEWE-LUISTENAARS.jpg
  • POSTERS-WW2-KEEP-MUM-shes-not-so-dumb.jpg
  • ZIPP-your-lips.jpg

This is one of a group of three  slogans that Vermaak called "ship slogans", introduced during the first half of 1942 at Cape Town, Port Elizabeth, Durban and Johannesburg. Johannesburg had two different types - one with the slogans in two lines, the other with the slogans in three/four lines.  As the attached (very) draft illustrated listing sets out, they were used with various CDS and BDS types, and seem to have been fairly short-lived - they have been seen in use at Johannesburg into late 1942, at Cape Town and Durban into 1943, and at Port Elizabeth into 1944.  

Vermaak also illustrates V34 (Don't talk about ships) with a Paquebot CDS;  I haven't yet seen one.

I would welcome any additions / corrections to the listing - particularly if anyone has one with a Paquebot CDS.

Uploaded files:

sorry a couple of others as well and can't erase.

Uploaded files:
  • Fb070.jpg
  • Fb071.jpg
  • Fb073.jpg
  • Fb074.jpg
  • Fb075.jpg

Wrong file.

Many thanks Jamie - your 29.X.42 Johannesburg cover is a new LKD for V38.2b.

What is  LKD for V38.2b. - Is there any money in it? or does it float?

What interests me is the fact that it is from Jo'burg -   Home of Railways and Harbours H.Q.

Sorry!  to decode the telegraphese ....

LKD = latest known date; (Johannesburg) V38.2b refers to the draft listing attached to my first e-mail: V38 refers to the number this slogan was given in Vermaak's catalogue; V38.2 is the second of the two variants of this slogan known from Johannesburg, and the b refers to the CDS - two kinds of CDS are known with this slogan type.

Yes, it's interesting that this slogan was in use in Johannesburg when it's so far from the sea; but not so surprising when you consider Johannesburg's business and economic importance, and the size of its population.  Perhaps more surprising is that East London appears not to have used a ship slogan canceller when Durban, Cape Town and Port Elizabeth were using them - instead, in 1942-44 the only slogans I've seen from East London  are: "Send Greetings Telegrams" and "Spend Less, Save More".