Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Pretoria Printing - Roll or Booklet ?

I think this is from the Pretoria Printing of the Booklet of 1926 or 1927, but it might be from the coil stamps. The vertical complete holes between the stamps are 13 in the 1/2d stamps making it the booklet, but it seems to be cut on the side as per the enlarged pic. Any help would be appreciated.  Would the 1d show where the stitching went through on what seems to be the rouletted right hand side? 

Uploaded files:
  • Booklet-stamps-1929.png
  • Booklet-stamps-detail-1929.png

An interesting one ...  In general typo roll stamps have cut/short perforations on both sides, and can have cut perforations at the top and/or bottom if they were bought from vending machines that cut the stamps;  whereas typo booklet stamps may have top, bottom, side or any combination of adjacent sides, but aren't cut on both sides.  The pairs on your cover both look like booklet stamps - the horizontal 1d pair has cut perforations at top and one side (right), the vertical 1/2d pair has cut perforations at top and bottom and on the right side, but not at the left.   What's a bit odd is that the 1/2d pair is P 14 x P13.5, consistent with the Pretoria booklet, while the 1d pair appears to be P 14, consistent with the London booklet.  Or have I miscounted? ...

You are right. The perfs are 14 for the 1d. I have a letter from her from 1935 with 4x Pretoria 1/2d combined with what looks suspiciously like a London 1d.  Perhaps she had a secret stash.  🙂 .