Please or Register to create posts and topics.

S.A. Cinderella.

Page 1 of 4Next

At last, we have a cinderella posted thank you Adel.   Anymore?

Uploaded files:
  • fB653.jpg

This is a request for copies of any SA cinderella on or off cover to help Adel and myself to put a working reference collection together.

Uploaded files:
  • Fb683.jpg

I promised to submit some Cinderellas and have been slow to do so because the ones I wanted to find and show have disappeared, most probably because I sold them at the last fair I attended before the lockdown. One would have appealed greatly to Jamie. It was a label promoting Pretoria in 'Jacaranda Time'. People in the UK ask "What did the Romans do for us?". In South Africa, one of the good things that European settlement provided was trees. Jo'burg mostly had thorn trees prior to the discovery of gold. Hard to believe today!

I question whether the cover with the Union Flag armorial shield is a 'Cinderella' which are, I believe, affixed labels. This appears to be a printed cover and therefore not a Cinderella? So, while I am splitingf hairs, I wonder if my Christmas TB label (top cover) below qualifies. One usually sees these described as "Christmas Seals". So, can you please provide a working defintion of what you are looking for in a 'Cinderella'. Club Members need to know what it is we should be contributing here. See my 'Propaganda Labels' below. I am guessing that "Cinderella" is the umbrella and that 'Christmas Seals' and 'Propaganda Labels", etc., are subsets. Please advise.

The scarce 1938 Seventh Philatelic Congress of SA was sent to me by Otto Peetoom. If you use this, please credit him. I believe that this was possibly designed by A. A. Jurgens, RDPSA and FRPSL, the most notorious faker of South African postal history.

I have more but it will take time to find and collate them into a presentable group. The last item, is very low-res. If you need a higher res scan, I will dig it out for you.

Uploaded files:
  • South-African-Cinderellas-1.jpg
  • South-African-Cinderella-2.jpg
  • Matabeleland-Farmers-Co-Op-Central-African-Trade-Fair-1960.jpg
  • 1938_Cape_Town_Philatelic_Congress.jpg
  • East-London-Patriotic-Label-96.jpg

Thank you so much for this posting.  It is an encouragement for others to come forward and show what their collections are made of!  You ask for a definition of the word cinderella.  I include raffle tickets that were used to raise money for the armed forces, that is just a guide.  Adel and myself are working on the Second World War portion of cinderellas at the moment and we would like to see more material, any material all.  The only definition that we are applying is like Cinderella's glass slipper 'If it don't fit - it's OUT!)  

Just so as not to be out done!

All images gladly received!

Uploaded files:
  • Fb810.jpg

Hi Jamie, I don't know if you could look upon this as a cinderella. I know it's not legit however.

Uploaded files:
  • cin1.jpg

Thanks S'  I only wish more would respond.  I will see what comes in and then see how to work it.

Quote from SOLPT1 on February 18, 2021, 4:57 am

Hi Jamie, I don't know if you could look upon this as a cinderella. I know it's not legit however.

The Pietersburg provisionals are just one example from the Boer War period of "stamps" that were not primarily issued for  postal purposes, but for other reasons -  philatelic, political, speculative ...  Some, like the Pietersburg provisionals, are included in catalogues because they were to some extent officially permitted, encouraged or condoned;  but whether they saw any genuine postal use is very uncertain - very few have been seen on covers, and those look contrived.  Whether we call them Cinderellas or not doesn't, I think,  really matter - but it's interesting to try to understand them, as much for what they tell us about stamp collecting  at the time as about the slow demise of the ZAR.

Hello, Anyone else out there????????????????

Uploaded files:
  • Fb824.jpg

More Red Cross Cinderella.

Uploaded files:
  • fB734.jpg
Page 1 of 4Next