Please or Register to create posts and topics.

SHOW GROUNDS DURBAN - 1938

This SHOW GRDS DURBAN skeleton postmark is a real mystery. Does anyone know anything about an event held in the Durban Show Grounds in June 1938?  This postmark is not recorded by either Putzel, Reisener or Alex Visser.

This postmark has been reproduced twice in 30 years in 'The Springbok', the magazine of the South African Collectors' Society, in the hope that someone will identify it. To date, no-one has come forward with any advice. Bob Hill, the present owner, has now asked the South African Philately Club to show it in the hope that  someone, somewhere might be able to tell us more about it and the show. If you know anything at all, please post it here.

Bob's display sheet below suggests a link between Durban's noted botanical gardens and the show grounds of this postmark. I doubt it. My experience of the Cape Show at Goodwood is that they usually involve thousands of people, horses, livestock, agricultural products, stock-car racing, a fairground, oompah bands and beer, activities at odds with the tranquil appreciation  of flowers and trees. So, feast your eyes on this. It is unrecorded and quite probably the only known example ie. it is unique. Having learned by ritual humilation to never use 'unique' to describe a postmark, I am hoping that by doing so now, someone will come forward to prove me wrong again.... please!

Uploaded files:
  • Show-Grounds-Durban.jpg
  • Show-Grounds-Durban-Display-Sheet.jpg