Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Social Philately.

I recently was given a large box of personal letters, covers and ephemera that had belonged to my Uncle. I have put these few pages together to give the story of a young man who met a young Geordie lady who had been sent to work by the government as a machinist making aircraft parts in Stratford-upon-Avon.  They met about 1943-44 when he was in the Home Guard.  They subsequently got married  and had a daughter.  He in the meantime was called up to do National Service and was posted to Egypt and Cyrenaica.  This is their 'love story' as I found it in their, up till now hidden box of memories.

Uploaded files:
  • Toby001.jpg
  • Toby002.jpg
  • Toby003.jpg
  • Toby004.jpg
  • Toby005.jpg

Continued.

Uploaded files:
  • Toby006.jpg
  • Toby007.jpg
  • Toby008.jpg
  • Toby009.jpg
  • Toby010.jpg

Continued.

Uploaded files:
  • Toby011.jpg
  • Toby012.jpg
  • Toby013.jpg
  • Toby014.jpg
  • Toby015.jpg

Continued.

Uploaded files:
  • Toby016.jpg
  • Toby017.jpg
  • Toby018.jpg

When I was posting this I wondered if it was all relevant.  And then I remembered a notice that was at the entrance to the Nairobi Game Park... it was a quote from King George VI and simply stated, 'All this is not ours to do with as we will, we are the trustees of it for the people of the future'.  How true that is of the material that we have the privilege of working with?  How exciting would I be to find a selection like this to match up with a cover from the Zulu or even the Boer War?  How excited will someone be to find this on this site 100 years on from now?  Incidentally, Jack's father, my grandfather did fight with the Royal Warwickshire Regiment in the Boer War and in Mesopotamia during World War I.

Uploaded files:
  • SAPC590.jpg
  • SAPC591.jpg