Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Korean War South African Postal History

I have always wanted to collect South African postal history from the Korean War. Over the years I have accumulated a few items here and there, usually by good fortune. On a trip to Cape Town to visit my mother I was lucky to meet a Korean War veteran who lived in the same retirement home as her. He was a real character with an irrepressible sense of fun. He has got me grinning as I write this! He served in Korea with the SAAF and No. 2 Squadron, the 'Flying Cheetahs'. He gave me his story which I have written up as part of a wider history of the war and South Africa's small part in it. But what a part! The SAAF punched above its weight and won the respect of the Yanks. I now want to use that article as part of a new on-line display / article, and illustrate it with what I have, as well as any contributions I receive from club members. I am not expecting to be overwhelmed by the response to this as South African Korean war material is uncommon. When you do find it is often aesthetically unappealing. However, it is a neglected area of South African postal history, that needs writing up. Have a look at a few of the pieces below which I plan to include. All have been provided by others. If you have material that you want to share with us in this display / article, please email the Club for more info. Thanks.

In descending order, the files below are:

1]. Christmas Card from the 18FBG (18th Fighter Bomber Group) to which  the Flying Cheetahs were assigned.
2]. SAAF serviceman's 'crossing the line' certificate.
3] Cover from FPO in Korea to Ysterplaat AFB, Cape Town.

Uploaded files:
  • FLYING-CHEETAHS-Lil-Abner-72dpi.jpg
  • HUTCHs-CROSSING-THE-LINE-72dpi.jpg
  • Airmail-Korea-to-Ysterplaat-96-dpi.jpg