Please or Register to create posts and topics.

South Africa's 'Wilding' definitive issue - Postal History.

Page 1 of 2Next

To date I  have been unable to find this issue in any catalogue and find material extremely hard to come by so I ask the viewer to please forgive me for including 'Souvenir'  covers.  Also could the usage in Swaziland be considered 'Used abroad'? 

Uploaded files:
  • Wild001.jpg
  • Wild002.jpg
  • Wild003.jpg
  • Wild004.jpg
  • Wild005.jpg

Wild Continued.

Uploaded files:
  • Wild006.jpg
  • Wild007.jpg
  • Wild008.jpg
  • Wild009.jpg
  • Wild010.jpg

Wild continued.

Uploaded files:
  • Wild011.jpg
  • Wild012.jpg
  • Wild013.jpg
  • Wild014.jpg
  • Wild015.jpg

Jamie

You are probably familiar with the TPO and Seapost society. But just in case, check out their website http://www.tpo-seapost.org.uk

and particular the publications offered like Mike Dovey and Keit Morris book (now on CD) Paquebot cancellations of the World and more ...

Uploaded files:

Jamie, WOW!! What a lovely display! When at first I read 'Wildings', my alarm bells started ringing and I imagined having to rap you over the knuckles for posting GB material on an SA site. I suspect GB is your first love, so a double round of thanks for posting all your wonderful southern African material in the Forum and Displays. Without seeing this post, I thought "What's going on? This is a South African site, not a GB, French, German or Iranian one", but when I saw your display, my concerns evaporated. This is a very fine 'South African' display. The very first Burmeister  cover reminded me again how grateful we should be to Friedie Burmeister for preserving this material. I also thought to post some of my own Burmeister Paquebot material and was disappointed when I dug it out to see that it was all King Geo VI. So, I have gone full circle from defensive grump to disappointed contributor. Oh, how we live and learn!

Perhaps this raises the question, "Should the Club start a GB Forum?" I am confident that's a "Yes" from Jamie!

Yes! when you are ready for a little serious philately!

A "Yes" from me. And the reason? Most of what was happening in the UK Post Office, was similarly reflected in the South African Post Office as well. 

@Jamie Did the Swaziland cancellation made the "cover used abroad"? Yes from me, as it is not a  Paquebot, although it is better classed as GB FORCES cover.  

The "Himalaya" cover is very interesting. The  original "Himalaya" was built in 1853 and was in service for 100 years. She saw service in the Peninsular and Steam Navigation Company and also served in the Crimean War.  It should be of particular interest to Steve, if he can find a cover around the Great War Period, as she was fitted with an aircraft dock at Simonstown and became the world's first aircraft carrier!

The cover I have is from 1859, so it must have entered Cape Town in 1859 and not 1860, as mentioned in Jamie's write up. 

What a fascinating piece of advice. I did not know that about the Himalaya. I will look out for such. Perhaps, I will not have to look much further than Jamie's material. He has a lot of Simonstown covers in various displays here, all of which make me varying shades of green.

Referring back to Yannisl.  Don't call me a liar for one year - when you get to my age a year either side doesn't matter! 

Hi Jamie. Trying very hard to catch up with your age and your collection, but is a bit hard, as you keep moving

Page 1 of 2Next