Please or Register to create posts and topics.

SOUTHERN RHODESIAN/ CAPETOWN KOREAN WAR ITEM.

Just thought I would post this item that I picked up many moons ago in a batch I purchased in an  auction at my former philatelic society I used to belong to in Sydney, before I got wise and moved to the rural environs. My questions are, firstly, was this cachet a carry over from the Second World War, or was it unique to the Korean War? Secondly, have any member seen this cachet before? I believe the cachet was applied in Capetown, am I correct?

Uploaded files:
  • kor01.jpg

Thanks for this one.  I have no idea but have forwarded it to my Rhodesian expert!  Let's see what comes up!  In other words, I am on to it!

Just a thought wonderful forerunner for a Zimbabwean collection - SERVICE SUSPENDED!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IMO, this is a great item of southern African Korean War mail. I look forward to hearing what Jamie's Rhodesian expert has to say. I would not be surprised if Korea was outside of his / her field. The Rhodesians did not participate in the Korean War. The Rhodesia Regiment was mobilised for participationt in 1951 but was never deployed to that theatre.

It is a pity we cannot tell when this was posted. The North Korean People's Army crossed the border and advanced into South Korea on 25 June 1950, quite probably some month or six weeks before the letter was posted. The RETURNED LO OFFICE CAPE TOWN is dated 5th September 1950. At this time the South Korean capital, Seoul, had been captured by the North Koreans and they and the USA had been pushed back into a very small enclave around Pusan. At this time, the war was going very well for the North Koreans who had every expectation of whipping the asses of the running dogs of capitalism and very badly for the South Koreans and their US allies who were about to make a bold amphibious landing at Incheon and totally turn the table on the North Koreans. The loss of territory and the fog of war prevented this letter's delivery. With the SERVICE SUSPENDED and the absence of a Korean receiving datestamp, it is likely that this letter never got further than Cape Town before it was RETURNED.

The faint blue cachet "DEPT OF THE PRIME MINISTER" under the CAUSEWAY pmk adds a 'WOW!' factor! NICE!!

May I please include it in the Club Collective Korean War display?

I am not really sure about this, but I believe the member of the philatelic society who bought this to the society had actually worked for the Prime Minister's Department in Southern Rhodesia prior to coming to Australia in the 1950' or 1960's. He was in the Southern Rhodesian forces in WW2 and one day I will post what I believe is a very interesting cover from India during WW2. Steve, it is alright to include the item in the Club Collective Korean War display.

Nothing to report yet on SR item but ongoing and getting there!  Have referrals.