Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Swaziland & Zululand

Combined these few pages for Swaziland & Zululand. 

Uploaded files:
  • 20211009_164926.jpg
  • 20211009_164936.jpg
  • 20211009_164944.jpg
  • 20211009_165013.jpg

Regarding your Swaziland stamps, also the Zululand stamps, I would not get your hopes up. Jamie is probably the best person to advise you on the Swaziland stamps. I have always liked Zululand and have quite a few of these which I would like to sell. (But not at 20p ea.!)

I must say that I like your 1/2d Zululand stamp postmarked 'R M Office' (Resident Magistrates Office). It would fit nicely into any postal history of Zululand. While the postmark is incomplete, it does tell a little of the story about how the British Army invaded Zululand on a pretext and without offical approval. After several defeats and defenses blown somewhat out of proportion - Desmond Morris' 'The Washing of the Spears' says that the defenders at Rorke's Drift fired 30,000 rounds of ammunition at some 4,000 Zulus, an utterly stunning testament to the poverty of the average British soldier's musketry skills in 1879 - the British Army finally captured Ulundi, the Zulu capital, thereafter putting in place a regime run by Resident Magistrates. I am writing much of this from memory so, if any of this is wrong, please correct it below. This stamp is a reminder of why it is good to be 'political' about philately. The Post Office is, after all, an arm of government and is therefore subject to discussions about the politics of the time.

Colonial has reacted to this post.
Colonial

Don't bring me in! I only do Elizabethan period.