Please or Register to create posts and topics.

The Hooded Datestamps of Southern Africa 1888 - 1903

PreviousPage 7 of 7

Thanks to all who have subsequently sent me more HCD examples. The response is encouraging.

Alex Visser is pressing me to wrap this up by putting together a revised date listing of the 'HCD With and Without Dot in Name' for publication in the SA Philatelist . I look forward to doing this. It will not be too difficult but right now I am finalising a 180 sheet display on 'The Postal History of Simonstown' for presentation in five days time. I am currently desperately pre-occupied with this as I have found myself short by some 20 pages and am scratching around to find ways to plug the gap, one of which may be to show the Simonstown HCD research sheets. It's not ideal but it will provide a specific Simonstown filler. Also, as I am making the display to Simon Kelly's Cambridge Philatelic Society, it's a fitting tribute to him. As soon as this is done I will return to the HCDs. Till then.....

Here are the results of the preceding SAPC research as published by Alex Visser in the South African Philatelist (page 173 - 180, December 2023). This was not entirely all the SAPC's own work as Alex was able to bring some new and useful postmarks to the party. This list now separates the Dot and No Dot varieties which were previously lumped together in some instances. As such. it represents the most complete and up-to-date listing of HCD ERs and LRs as of 21/12/2023. We look forwarding to revising it further in future.

In the table below Alex has added letters in brackets next to several dates. These acknowledge the contributor of the HCD in this study when that person is other than an original researcher (Putzel, Visser and Frescura, all RDPSAs who's work built up our first HCD ER and LR table). The letters designating the new contributors to this research are 'H' Hill, 'K' Kelly, 'L' Lazarides, 'P' Pierce, 'S' Steve Hannath.

If you have new discoveries before the given ER and and after the LR please submit them to me and or Alex. Thanks.
Email Alex Visser: alex.visser@up.ac.za

Also, my thanks to those SAPC members - Bob Hill, Simon Kelly, Mike Berry, Yiannis Larides, Johan Diesveld, Bas Payne and others - who submitted HCDs for this study. I/we could not have done it alone!

I have received the following from Johan Diesveld.

"Dear Steve,
Well hope you are doing well. Been busy with other South African “stuff” (exhibit of ZAR postcards). Anyway I came across this HCD of Queenstown.
Kind regards,
Johan Diesveld".

Of note, it is a QUEENSTOWN (DOT) from 'FE 3 90'. While it does not provide any new insights like an ER or an LR, it does help to establish yet again that the QUEENSTOWN (DOT) was most likely the standard format of the HCD as used in Queenstown. Until we find a QUEENSTOWN (NO DOT), we will have to accept that this is the standard as used in Queenstown

Thanks Johan, keep them coming as you find them.

Your postcard is very nice. BONC 482 is CALA, known used from 23-May-83 to 5-Feb-95.

Uploaded files:
  • QT-HCD-FE-5-90-detail.jpg
  • QT-HCD-FE-5-90.jpg
PreviousPage 7 of 7