Please or Register to create posts and topics.

The Wanderers Philatelic Society.

OLD PHILATELISTS NEVER DIE! THEY DON'T EVEN FADE AWAY.

I recently bought a cover on E-bay not so much because it fitted into my collection (although it did) but because of the person that it was addressed to Dr. Frank of Johannesburg; when I saw the name the memories came flooding back.

Back in the 1980's we were both members of the Wanderer's Philatelic Society and as I remembered those days images come back to my mind, the entrance under the clock tower, corridors with creaking wooden floors and photographs of past sportsmen, sadly I heard that part was burnt out but the memories live on. The wonderful restaurant and of course the faces along with some of the names. Chris (Issuing Authorities) Mobsey our much loved president, Jean Turban (Madagascar and if I remember correctly Nyasaland), Herby Scheffler , Dr. Ian Matheson (British Honduras), Howard Green (who's daughter was a fine ballerina), Bobby Oppenheim, J.P. Worton-Hood (revenues), David Stern, Lou Abrams, Danie Scheepers, Major Mathews, Solly (Chinara) Chinman, David Crocker, Mike Wigmore (Forgeries) and Kenny Josef. My apologies to those I have failed to remember but it was thirty years ago. I remember there was a man from the Shell Oil wo collected 'Cricket' and then there was the hypnotist – he could stop you smoking after a few words in your ear, sorry but I cannot remember their names.

What a club to belong to we even had three Olympians, Lou Abrams (track events), Bobby Oppenheim (who competed for at least two countries - Austria and Canada (on ice) and who after a hip operation in 1986 at the age of 80+ was back on court within weeks playing Johannesburg league). Unfortunately I can't remember the other person's name perhaps someone will remind me.

I remember the wonderful events organised by Chris especially the quizzes which Dr. Franks son at the age of 15 always seemed to put the rest of us to shame. And the dinners, oh what dinners we even wore black and white and the ladies, we will say no more except to say it was a pleasure to take them into dinner.  The Wanderers were famous for their food, they had a team of Italian chefs, I know because I was interviewed for a place on that team when I arrived in South Africa back in 1966, I never got the job because I never spoke Italian.

I show the cover I purchased on E-bay along a few bits of ephemera, certificates received, menus and even a place setting,  What other club would require a proof for a certificate?  We even had our own designer in the form of Liz smith.  I show these in an attempt to show how a real philatelic society was run back in the good old days.

Uploaded files:
  • SAPC012.jpg
  • SAPC013.jpg
  • SAPC014.jpg
  • SAPC015.jpg
  • SAPC016.jpg

Addition.

Uploaded files:
  • SAPC017.jpg
  • SAPC018.jpg
  • SAPC019.jpg
  • SAPC020.jpg