Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Transvaal T.S.O.

David Morrison asks 'What does T.S.O. stand for?

Transvaal Sub-Office?

Uploaded files:
  • SAPC386.jpg

Probably a "sub-post office with telegraphic facilities ..." (Putzel lists these as "STO" in his Encyclopedia).

Putzel lists this SUNNYSIDE TSO postmark as Sunnyside's first ie. No. 1.

David is right to ask what the 'TSO' stands for as Putzel does not include that in his list of post office abbreviations.

Among those he does include are:

STO - Sub Post Office with Telegraph Facilities.
TO - Telegraph Office only

According to Putzel, SUNNYSIDE  first opened as a TtO (Telegraph and Telephone Office - NO Postal facilities) in 1903 but became a TSO in 1904. In other words, something changed in the nature of its operations. Later in the same year it became a PO. I am guessing we all know what that is. The PO closed in 1908 but re-opened as a TSO again in 1909 ie. going back to how it was originally. However, in 1910 it became a PO again. I agree with Bas that a TSO is most likely a Sub-Post Office of some sort with Telegraph facilities

I have been thinking about this one and from somewhere in the past probably at a Johannesburg or Wanderers P/S meeting I recall the words 'Telegraph Sorting Office'.  Does this mean anything to anybody?

Major Ian Mathews', et al, book 'Transvaal Philately' is a lovely and useful reference but it has NO index. I would like to explain this ommision in words the Major might understand - a reference book without an index is like mustering the troops without a roll call! I initially looked at it for an answer but put it down because it had no index. Now I have picked it up again and taken a kwik skwizz at it again. It is a frustrating exercise!

Apparently, according to 'Transvaal Philately, (A Listing of Post Offices, page 162 - 179)', there were three such TSOs.

Auckland Park (TSO) - Johannesburg (closed 27 09 05)
Sunnyside TSO - Pretoria (earliest 11 12 09)
Turffontein TSO - Johannesburg (earliest 20 12 04)

There appears to be no explanation within the book as to exactly what a 'TSO' was.

These TSOs were based in the largest city in the ZAR and the seat of its government. A clue perhaps?

It always very frustrating when a book has no index. 

In Gibbons, Postmarks of Great Britain (might offer a clue). TSO stands for Town Sub-Office. 

What a team!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Thanks to all concerned!

Just as a matter of interest - How does one give a thumbs up?

Steve has reacted to this post.
Steve

The right answer can probably be found by consulting primary sources - in this case,  the annual reports of the PMG of Transvaal, or the Post Office Guides.  If anyone has copies or easy access to them, they would be doing all of us a huge favour if they would scan them and put them on the this or some other website. Please ....