Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Voortrekker 1938 Commemorative Trek

Am avid collector of the 1938 Voortrekker Commemorative Covers and have assembled an extensive collection, including many duplicates.

Attached is a list of all the covers known to me. If you have others please let me know so that I can add them to the list. Also would appreciate help in completing my collection. Am open to purchase or making compelling trades for the ones I still need. See the attached lists. Would also welcome dialoguing with others interested in this topic on this forum or via siegmayr@yahoo.com

Covers I still need are postmarked: Philadelphia, Reddersburg, Petrus Steyn, Boksburg North, Harrismith, Ladysmith, Jagersdrift Station, Utrecht. All are quite rare. I have equally rare ones for trade.

Uploaded files:
  • IMG_7083.JPG
  • IMG_7084.JPG
  • IMG_7085.JPG

One sees quite a lot of the common ones at UK stamp fairs. I have accumulated several over the years, the standard issues like Slachtersnek, etc., Piet Retief (?), but I doubt I have any of your rare ones. I will keep an eye out for these when next I browse through my boxes of stuff and better, when I get to go to a stamp fair again. I will advise you if I find any. What sort of prices would you expect to pay for the rare items in the USA. Yes, I know - how long is a ball of string? I want to know what's reasonable if I see one at a show - not much  chance of that in the short-term!

Prices are negotiable, but $100 would be a reasonable amount.

Thank you for the kind offer - much appreciated.

Hi,

I have just seen that Paul van Zeyl has some Voortrekker material in his latest auction. It is not quite what you want but there may just be something tasty in there. Here is a new-fangled link to his new and unfamilia auction site. It was so much easier to buy sight unseen previously!

ttps://www.stampbroker.co.za/lot1-50/4/ 

Good luck

Its a while but I have just seen this article in the Springbok, the magazine of the UK South African Collectors' Society. I am sure that you must be familair with its contents  but I am posting it here because I found it interesting. I hope you do too. The article is: '1938:  A Philatelic Connection to the Re-enactment of the Great Trek Contemporary Extracts from The South African Philatelist'. Pages 52 -60.

http://www.southafricacollector.com/The_Springbok_Issues_from_2012/The_Springbok_No_318.pdf