Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Wolvehoek

Postcard, sent from Wolvehoek 6 NO 1905 to Hull England
Was this a train station ?? Where lies Wolvehoek, and when was this post office opened, and for how long? I hope you can tell me more about this card.

Uploaded files:
  • Wolvehoek-3.jpg

I know Wolvehoek very well. I used to do a lot of very good bird watching there.  It is south of Vereeniging in the Free State, the other way there is to turn left off the Vereeniging - Parys road when you see the radio tower.  All that is there is a huge abattoir and a mealie silo, a railway station, a few houses and a road bridge over the railway line, and I will add it is surrounded by huge fields of mealies (in season) I can send you a list of the birds to be seen there which includes the Dikkop (if you are interested).  Oh yes and I bought a shop called Suikerbosch Kontant Winkel off the bloke who owned the abattoir.  Ask me another!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Albert,

Sound as if you could do with a copy of Putzel's Encyclopedia of South African Post Offices and Postal Agencies: 4 volumes, but can often be bought reasonably cheaply at auctions.

Wolvehoek was a railway junction on the man line from Bloemfontein to the Transvaal, just over 300 km N of Bloemfontein in the Sasolberg district.  A PAK opened there in 1893, and became a PO in 1899; it was closed during the ABW, and reopened in 1902.  The PO was transferred to Rail (not clear whether this means  a transfer of responsibility or of location) in 1905,and back again in 1914; was downgraded to a PA in 1928, and renamed Wolwenhoek in 1929.  It became  PO again in 1939, and was still open in 1988.

Your postmark is a nice copy of Put 3; it was probably fairly short-lived.

I was approaching the subject as an ornithologist not a philatelist.  Wait till I get to my other facet!  (This was not meant to mean that I considered myself a diamond!).

Bad PAYNE, I have only Putzel folume number 1 and 3. Please inform  me when to buy at auction. 

I'll let you know next time I hear of a set.  

Jammy Smith,  collecting  stamps,  with Birds,  on cover,  and mint,  a other great interest of me.  I have a verry great birds collection world wide. But time to work with it,  is a problem. To much hobbies. 

Bas Payne,  thanks  for the explanation about the post office. Maybe a silly question, but what does it means PAK ? 

Is the post office still open now? if closed, when?
Uploaded files:
  • wolvehoek-4-2.jpg

Hi - I think Putzel vols 1(AB) to 4(He-Ka) were unsold reserved at £12 each in the last SACS auction - the soft back volumes, not the hard back "encylcopaedia" which is in 4 volumes - not sure which you're missing - contact Nick Arrow if interested - best - Tony H-G 

tonyhg, thanks for message.  My interest is the hard back, encylcopaedia. I have volume I.