Please or Register to create posts and topics.

ZAR and Transvaal date-stamps C-F: please help now!

Alex Visser and I are putting together the next instalment of the ZAR/Transvaal  date-stamp catalogue, covering offices starting with C-F.  It  will be published in the next Transvaal Philatelist, and made available digitally as well.  

We would be enormously grateful for scans of any date-stamps in your collection from offices starting with C-F  and with a readable date before 1913 ,  so that they can be included if they are a new date-stamp or a new first or last date of use.   Scans should be 300 dpi or better, and should if possible reach us before 15 February.   Please either post them as replies to this posting, or e-mail them direct to bas.payne@gmail.com if you would prefer.

I will tell you if any of your date stamps are new, or new EKDs or LKDs;   and all help will be acknowledged.

Very many thanks for any help.

Bas Payne, I shall look at my collection, enclosed 2 of them 1: De Langesdrift 28 MAR 1908 - 2: Braamfontein 4 MAY 1907 - 

Uploaded files:
  • Braamfontein-J-B.jpg
  • De-Langesdrift-4a.jpg

Barberton 22 NOV 1896 - Boksburg 11JAN 1904 - 

Uploaded files:
  • Barberton-1.jpg
  • Boksburg.jpg

Many thanks - help much appreciated.

BRAAMFONTEIN 4 MAY 07 is Add 3y

DELANGESDRIFT 28 MAR 1908 is Put 1, and so far the earliest recorded date

BARBERTON 22 NOV 96 is Add 8w

BOKSBURG 11 JAN 0(4) is Put 6

On the DELANGESDRIFT date-stamp, can you see whether there is a stop after "TVL" or not?  It's not clear from the scan - there's a dark spot in the right place, but I can't see whether it's dark green and part of the stamp design, or black.   I'd like to include the image of this date-stamp in the catalogue. Usually I either put the collector's initials, and say who it is in the acknowledgements, or if a collector doesn't want to be identified, I put PC (= private collection).  Which would you prefer?

Thanks again,

Bas

Bas Payne, I made a new scan, and you can now clearly see that the dot is next to the number two. So I think that there is a stop after TVL.  You can use my initals, and say who I am in the acknowledgement

Uploaded files:
  • De-Langsdrift-4-d.jpg
  • De-Langsdrift-4-d-a.jpg

Dear Albert,

Very many thanks - the stop is quite clear now.  Many thanks also for permission to use the scan;  what is your name and what are your initials? 

Thanks again,  

Bas

Just for clarification if it is needed. Where Bas says:

"Add", he refers to Alex Visser's Addendum which can be viewed on-line.

"Put" refers to Ralph Putzel's "The Postmarks of South Africa". This 10 volume reference must be purchased.