Please or Register to create posts and topics.

1936 JIPEX

Hi,

I recently purchased a JIPEX cover with the red missing on the cachet. It is dated 2/11/1936, I have seen them dated 14/11/1936. 

Can anyone help?

Kind Regards,

Glenn.

Uploaded files:
  • SCN_20220930_130217.jpg
  • SCN_20220930_130122.jpg

Hi Glenn,

Your best bet is to start with Roy Ross, the SA Collector's Society's expert in all things JIPEX.

Roy has posted a display on this site entitled  'JIPEX 36 Empire Exhibition Johannesburg'. You can find it under Displays > Union of South Africa Stamps and Postal History. Roy shows two covers like yours with the red ommitted but curiously does not appear to comment on this. It is almost like Roy thinks it is supposed to be without the red. Roy's dates are both 14th November. I am sure he will be curious about yours of '2 11 36'. He also shows one cover with the red shifted downwards. 

If you want to email him, please email me and I will arrange it. I hope that Roy's material will help you.

You can link to it here:
https://southafricanphilatelyclub.com/union-of-south-africa-stamps-and-postal-history

I also added a REPLY to a another Post on JIPEX material. This shows a 1935 1/2d booklet sheet on cover to Sweden.
https://southafricanphilatelyclub.com/forum/topic/jipex-minisheets#postid-4181

Just as we think that we have seen everything in connection with JIPEX along comes something which has never been seen before.

My explanation for this missing red cachet is that the envelopes with the red missing were seen during the first day of the Exhibition and removed from the Post Office counter. They were put in a pile and when the good covers ran out on the last day someone behind the scenes attached the JIPEX panes to them. When the sheets were cut into panes they totalled 100 panes per pile. To my knowledge the only panes seen ( by members of our Society) attached to the missing red cachet covers are number 2 for the half penny and number 15 for the one penny. This suggests that there are 100 or less of the missing red cachet covers of each of the values.

Obviously no one is infallible and it would seem that this cover dated 2 Nov escaped the scrutiny of the Post Office officials. I and everyone I know who has a JIPEX collection have never seen another which have anything other than 14th November (Last Day). The cover was sold without the usual JIPEX panes being attached by the Post Office and the purchaser attached the stamps, it was then posted at the Exhibition Post Office. A person could buy either blank covers or ones with the JIPEX pane attached. The number of blank covers sold over the counter is not known but judging by the number seen it would appear to be many.

A very interesting and exciting find.

Glenn, you have made every JIPEX collection incomplete and every JIPEX collector very, very jealous.

Do you have another one?

Good Afternoon, thank you to everyone who has helped with my question. The cover was purchased recently on ebay, and a nice addition to my collection. It has proved my interest in it. Kind Regards Glenn.

Right, let's see if I understand this a bit better now.

Below is a JIPEX cover from my Simonstown collection addressed to the Engineer Commander, HMS Carlisle, then the flagship of the Cape Station. From what I have learned from the post above:

1]. Glenn's cover is the only one recorded so far with RED MISSING that is not dated 14th November.
2]. The example below is an ordinary JIPEX cover because Africa has a RED sub-equatorial image.
3]. With the exception of Glenn's cover, all JIPEX covers, like mine, dated 2nd - 13th November show this  in RED.
4]. All other covers with the RED MISSING are from the last day of the exhibition, the 14th.
5]. If mine is at all special, it is because it has been stamped on the First Day of JIPEX - and then not much!

Uploaded files:
  • JIPEX-Cover-to-Simonstown.jpg

Good morning, I have recently obtained a cover with missing red dated 14/11/1936.

Excellent. If you have more questions or items of interest, please continue to post them here. Your discovery of the missing red item dated 2/11/1936 was a MAJOR find. Roy Ross is perhaps the leading expert on this subject. It was generous and good of him to share his knowledge with us all, especially when he discovered that you had the exception that disproved his rule. What you have found and shown here justifies this site's existence as a place we can come together in a spirit of discovery to share information and learn more about our hobby. Thank you.