Please or Register to create posts and topics.

My writings.

PreviousPage 3 of 22Next

A quick trip to KwaZulu Natal.

Uploaded files:
  • SAPC175.jpg

Nearly fifty years since I wrote this one.  When I read these pieces the memories come flooding back, this was my way of keeping a diary which I could never do.

Uploaded files:
  • SAPC181.jpg

One of many magic moments I experienced in South Africa.

Uploaded files:
  • SAPC193.jpg

Today, a true story!  You will probably say 'Eagles can't turn into Magpies!' But they did!

Uploaded files:
  • SAPC194.jpg
  • SAPC195.jpg

I promised this one earlier, after a long search I eventually found it.  I see when I wrote about the incident I called it a DC3 later I called it a DC4.  Can anyone identify which it is?

I have just re-read it and find a few mistakes, wrong words and wrong spelling, sorry but you get it 'Warts 'n All'.

Uploaded files:
  • SAPC208.jpg
  • SAPC209.jpg

This was a trip to the National Philatelic Exhibition that was held in Bloemfontein in 1985.  I remember I had the 'hell in' as I drove all the way down there, got there at ten to two only to find that it closed at 2 0'clock! An 800 k trip for 10 minutes viewing.  I remember I bought a registered K.U.T. military item,  I then drove back to Vereeniging and wrote a letter of complaint to the S.A. Philatelist (As if it was their fault) which was published the next month.

Uploaded files:
  • SAPC210.jpg

I wonder how many people ever noticed!

Uploaded files:
  • SAPC221.jpg

Even though my house was sandwiched between Vereeniging town and the golf course I had wonderful wildlife experiences.  Vervet monkeys, Greater & lesser genet cats, and regular visits from a 'ginger' water mongoose.  In the grass I had stripped field mice, a minute shrew and of course rats, hence the genet cats.  It was common to see the fish eagles overhead and in their season the Eastern and Western Red Footed Falcons.  While from my lounge windows I could watch cardinal woodpeckers, nesting paradise flycatchers and white fronted bee-eaters.  I could go on all day but one last mention the reed cormorant and the hammerkops that came after the frogs.  Today another butterfly experience.

Uploaded files:
  • SAPC222.jpg

My wife and I once went to Kruger via the Punda Maria northern gate, We were lucky to do so because at that time the camp was still much as it was in the 1930s, quite primitive. It was some years  before the tour coaches arrived en masse. The braai area was communal and as a result I got talking to the ex-Mayor of Potchefstrooom who seemed enthusiastic that I had been a kanondonkie (Afr. gunner) there during his time in office. He wanted to know who my OC was but I couldn't remember his name. I had no trouble remembering the NCOs. I wonder why that is?  As we had arrived late, we were still braaing when the rest of the folk (volk) retired to eat their kos under the trees. We were left alone by ourselves around the fire. Or so we thought. After a while we heard noises in the undergrowth and then in a typical white man in Africa campfire moment we saw these glowing eyes observing us from the dark. We soon worked out they were wild cats of some sort because they came close and circled warily around to beg a bietjie boerewors. I reckon they were your genet cats, small spotted, quite shy, absolutely drop dead gorgeous. I am not a domesticated cat man but one of these would have been quite something to take home and set among the English moggies.

I enjoyed "All's Quiet in the Kloof". My most magical African experiences have taken place there between rocks, water and blue sky. One of my most favourite places in the Western Cape is Bain's Kloof.

I have often wondered about Punda Maria as I was in Kenya for a few years and a Punda Malia is a Zebra.  Did someone else have my trouble with spelling.  One of my favourite places.  Just as a matter of interest I am off to have my dinner - guess what - Boerewors!!!!!!!!!!! Eat your heart out Ou broer.

PreviousPage 3 of 22Next