Please or Register to create posts and topics.

South Africa+ 'Postage Dues'.

I am not an X-Spurt (a drip under pressure) on the subject but I do collect the subject but within other collecting areas.  What I find is that most philatelists are under the impression that the 'tax' charged is double the shortage!  This is not always the case!  Does anyone want to comment or show any material to back my statement up?  I will kick the subject off by showing four South African pages from my G.B. Elizabeth II collection, including one cover that has been taxed twice.  To show further examples I will have to expand into other countries but that will be after I see what comes in.

While I am writing I just want to say a few things... When Steve started this site off six months ago his vision was just a site for South African collector's  (or should I be more accurate and say collectors of South African material, not necessarily philatelic as I see he has posted 'match boxes' and 'hair cuts' and I also see that the section on ornithology has been one of the most popular).  Also his vision was just for the lock-down.

When I joined him, without realising it the boundaries were stretched a little for instance in the very near future he will be posting Persia/Iran albeit with a South African connection.  And together we are trying to stretch the forum with new ideas and subjects of which this is one.  If others, meaning yourself want to see this site carried on into the future and become a base where future philatelists can come and do research from what we have posted then we need more posts.  I am trying to add a post a day but am running out of ideas.  What do you want to see - Glenda Kemp?

I know I have scanned over 2,500 images for the site and Steve has done many, many more +++ What I am asking for is a little more input even if it is only a tick in the appropriate box. 

Uploaded files:
  • SAPC033.jpg
  • SAPC035.jpg
  • SAPC036.jpg
  • SAPC037.jpg

Jamie, this is a great topic. Why not? 

I would especially be interested to see if you have any pre-union material. Taxed mail, other than local mail, requires a little bit of knowledge from both countries, so posting some from other countries is also interesting.  I think many of us have a main collecting interest and many, sidelines. Did I ever tell you that once I attempted to start an East Africa/Somalia War II postal history collection? Why not talk about it? My view of a forum is that it is a place for discussion, or ask a question, but most importantly have a good time. The posts can also become a great resource if we focus now and then a bit deeper on the topics we discuss. 

Back to the taxed mail, can you please start the discussion sharing your experience how you go about researching the topic? Literature you use? In the meantime I will dig out a couple of items that might interest you (POSTED OUT OF COURSE) of the Cape of Good Hope. For South Africa taxed mail I have possibly 500 pages that need a good rewrite so if material is needed for the discussion.

Talking about literature, this is what most collectors miss and is almost next to impossible to buy now with COVID, as courier fees are astronomical and posts are still not functioning at least in my area. So any assistance we can give to people in this respect some scans etc., would be greatly appreciated, I am sure. I have about 120+ philatelic books, but sadly still missing some essential one's related to South Africa (mostly journals). I will be glad to share. 

But if you prefer a discussion about sugary stuff, such as Glenda Kemp, it is OK by me. As we are talking about sugary things, I attach a page that I was re-writing.  It was a letter MISSENT to PAARL and addressed to Perkins. I thought I had a disaster in my hands and the collection caught a disease, as the back of the envelope had a bad stain. As most of the Perkins envelopes contain letters, I opened the envelope and to my total surprise the letter from Thomson and Watson (made famous by Goldblatt as a forwarding agent), had a tiny envelope stuck to the letter enclosing a sugar sample! MISSENT letters are easily found for Great Britain but hard to find for smaller countries, such as the Cape. Strange enough through the efforts of this SAPC I found a new one at Philatelic Friends, which I didn't realize they existed and from whom I bought this original cover. 

Anyone has any detail info about Perkins? I have only managed to find this photo which I attach. 

As you see philately is fractal... let us keep it that way. 

Uploaded files:

I have been trying to find an answer and as far as I can work out Postage dues are governed by the UPU conventions. most of which are available here: https://www.gbps.org.uk/information/sources/treaties/upu-conventions.php

I have (hopefully) included Regulation 6 of the Rome Convention Regulations as an example. See  6.1.1 and 6.3 for the postage dues. 

Uploaded files:
  • Rome-Convention-Regs-6-p1.1.jpg
  • Rome-Convention-Regs-6-p1.2.jpg